Penguin Watch Talk

Back button to correct misclicks on first question

• PrairieGirl by PrairieGirl

Hi. Sometimes on the first page, where it asks "Are there any penguins present?" it doesn't always take my click and then goes to the "Thank you" page. Is there any way to add a Back button so I can return to the image and repair errors? This has happened to me a few times. I'm being more careful now, but sometimes I have to click the Yes (especially) or the No button several times before it accepts the response. If I'm going a little too fast, it goes right by, and then I can't go back and correct it.

Posted

Sorry I should have been clearer - I know there's a back button if you want to correct a Yes to a No or vice versa, but not if it does not recognize the click at all and treats it as a "no response"

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi @PrairieGirl

Please, can you tell us what browser/OS do you use? I report the issue to the developers, but they need to know more details to be able to reproduce it on their computers. Thanks for letting us know about and sorry for the troubles!

Z.

Posted

I'm using Google Chrome. Of course when I tried to do it on purpose so I could describe it better, I couldn't do it. But sometimes if the mouse pointer is placed in certain spots on the word Yes, part of the word will highlight but the dot won't appear in its place. I then have to move the mouse around and click several times to clear that, and then I can proceed. If I'm not watching carefully enough, I have no answer entered (neither Yes, No, nor I Can't Tell), then I click OK, and then it takes me right to "Thank you, your classification has been recorded" and I can't return to the image to correct it. It's possible (likely) the error is mine, but it would be good if one of 2 things happened:

1. if the OK would not work until a proper response was entered, or
    2. if there was a "back" button from the "thank you" page.

As it is now, I have several images that had penguins in them, but I was unable to actually mark any of them. For now, I'm just trying to be extra careful and double check before I click OK on that first page.

Posted

Thank you!

I tried myself not to choose any option and click on the OK button and the 'Thank you' screen appeared as if I have classified it, which I don't find very good. I agree that It shouldn't let me to click on the OK button without choosing some option.

I know the situation when it doesn't recognize the click. It happens to me quite often when I want to edit my post trying to click on the Update button (It happens to me in other Zooniverse projects). And the only thing which helps is to reload the page.

Posted

• BellisP by BellisP

I've found this too and am also using Google Chrome (with Windows 7). at first i thought i was double clicking but like PGirl i've been more careful but it still happens.

There is something else about the Back button which is a bit strange as follows. say if you choose Yes and then mark Adult penguins, and then at the Too many/Every screen you spot another one. It then isn't possible to mark another Adult (or other category which you've already used). I did find a work around to unlock it ( :] this is not a problem for me at all) I click the Back Button then OK again to come in and out of the screen, and just realised that just clicking on and off a different category works too, as then the previously used category is unlocked. I've used that quite a bit but have a small worry that it may affect the data, i.e. perhaps if the record is saved on the OK before the Too many/Every screen, I might end up making two separate records.

Sorry to hijack your thread PrairieGirl

Posted

NP 😃

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I would support having the system not take you to the next question if it didn't capture a response on the current one. So, if I click on Yes (there are animals present), but didn't click in quite the right place so it didn't mark the radio button, and then I click on OK, it would let me know I still need to make a response. There are two ways I can see such problem classifications being handled. Either the system assumes a default response and treats it as good data, in which case the scientists are actually getting bad data, or the system treats it as a non-classification, in which case my efforts are wasted. For example, I might mark 60 penguins on a picture, and then mis-click on the "marked them all" question. If my classification gets thrown out, I just wasted time clicking on those 60 penguins.

Just my two cents' worth. 😃

S.

Posted

• Ips by Ips

Even if this thread is already a little older and as no such button has appread yet, it may be a little more tricky or never happen at all, I thought I'd let you know this is not exclusively a Chrome issue: It happens to me as well and I use Firefox.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Ips's comment.

Hi.

Please, be patient. The developers are very busy now, probably have been trying to fix some more serious issues. I'll talk to them after this weekend again and will try to get some information about incoming updates and so on. Thanks for your effort!

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi Zuzi, which developer have you been working with, mostly? It seems like there are a couple of PW issues that may be due for updates in the near future.

Posted

Hi Darren, I'm in a contact with Cam who promised to look at all the problems I sent him a few days ago.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Alright. Please let me know if you don't hear back! 😃

Posted