Penguin Watch Talk

Adult or chick?

• Novawatch by Novawatch

When the subject is in the distance and the picture is a little cloudy it is difficult to be certain the penquings are all adults and not chicks. I marked these as chicks but is there a trick to being certain?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi.

Always, when you can't tell, whether there are adults or chicks, it's better to mark them as adults.

This photo was taken after the end of a breeding season (when all the chicks are already moulted and look adults). Moreover all of the penguins there have signs of maturity, so there is no reason to mark them as chicks.

Here is a short description of the signs, which can help you.

The other way is to look at the date, when the image was taken. The date and locality depend on the species. Here are diagrams of the year cycles for each species (scroll down unless you see the images). These are Gentoos, so there are two options: one for the Northern and one for the Southern.

Just remember, that all penguins (both adults and chicks) moult at the same time - at the end of a breeding season. So moulting doesn't always mean that it is a juvenile penguin:]

Hope this answers your question.

Posted

• tunon by tunon

After reading this post, I realize I probably incorrectly identified some birds as chicks. However, when there is a big group, do you prefer that we identify the adults first or the chicks, particulatly when there is a chance of reaching 30? Thanks, Johanna

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hi Johanna
    You are not limited to counting 30. We would love you to count all of them if you can. But we realise that sometime they are too small, or too blurry or that there are just too many to count them all. It doesn't matter how you count - adults or chicks, left to right, front to back. However is easiest for you.
    Happy counting

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Actually I think the scientists prefer when we start in the foreground with the closest ones and finish with the most distanced ones..

Posted