Penguin Watch Talk

Can we have more zoom please?

• BellisP by BellisP

Hello.
    I've been seeing more and more photos from sites like this where the birds are at quite a distance and I'd like to ask Zooniverse to make the changes needed to let people zoom in to the photos while still at the tagging stage.

Some of these more distant sites seem to have only started appearing recently and so I'm guessing that they are just being sent back by scientists who are currently in the Antarctic during their summer. Presumably then there are many many more photos at this type of distance still to be processed by the volunteers. I'm worried that without a zoom we are not able to produce good data for these sites.

I know there are a range of bugs and tweaks that people have raised, and this is just one on the list, but I think we were told at one point that it wasn't going to be dealt with any time soon. This is a bit of worry given how many photos have very distant penguins and I think it should be given quite a high priority if possible please.

thanks

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I brought this up with our (very busy) developers, but unfortunately it still doesn't look like it's something we can do any time in the near future.

Perhaps we could get some guidance from the scientists on what we can do if the penguins are too far away to identify even with the existing zoom capability?

Posted

• sisige by sisige

For what it's worth, one thing I like about the setup used on Penguin Watch is that the classification page seems to use the full area available in your browser window, so if I maximize the window the image gets larger while maintaining the resolution/quality. In Snapshot Serengeti, by contrast, the images only appear in one size, and while you can change the size using the page zoom it doesn't improve the image resolution, so it doesn't always help much. So, I would suggest that users classify on the largest screen they have available, as that will give you a larger image to work with.

If the developers do get a chance to change how the image zoom works, I hope they don't lose that benefit along the way.

S.

Posted

• BellisP by BellisP

It looks like the magnifier has now got a bigger circle on it - to help us see those distant penguins - so thank you to everyone who listened and helped, it is making it easier.

Posted

• ckdarfler by ckdarfler

Zooming in on the picture would be VERY useful, especially in classifying the masses of penguins. The zoom in on the penguin selector actually is a hindrance for me when picking as I can't pick two adjacent penguins due to the magnifier.

These are the biggest hindrances to working with the photos that i have found.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to ckdarfler's comment.

You can cancel the magnifier after marking the penguin by clicking on the little 'circle' on the right margin of the magnifier and then click on the neighboring penguin without any problems.

Posted

• Relax101 by Relax101

Where there are two penguins close together even at a distance, I find it easier to click on a piece of ground nearby and then slide the magnifier to the required position. It is possible to put some marks close to each other doing this.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Relax101's comment.

Yes, agree. This is very helpful. I'm used to work this way as well. Just sometimes the image is full of marks and it's not easy to find such empty ground around for the click, so it's useful to know even how to close the magnifier:]

Posted