Penguin Watch Talk

hashtags

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Some pointers regarding the project coordinators' preferred use of hashtags would be welcome to those of us who don't use Twitter, etc.
    For example, is #Brown #Skua or #Brownskua more helpful? I'm sure birds, etc. not listed in "Other" need a tag, but should critters listed in the "Other" category also be notated with hashtags? What about eggs? Poor visibility?

Thanks.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This is an excellent point. Going forward, we're talking a lot at Zooniverse about having a list of "suggested" hashtags available during the commenting process.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Hi,

here is a list of Popular hashtags on the Talk (under the Featured discussions). I would use these which are the most popular there. So for the skua it would be #Brown #skua etc.

Posted

Thank you, DZM.
    Modertor yshish, a list would be most helpful. I'll search through the Talk in the morning when I'm not so tired. Thank you!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @yshish, did you mean to link that list? I can't see it under the Featured discussions, unfortunately, and as we all know, the Search is awful...

Do you have a link for that list?

Thanks!

Posted

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the list either. I'm sure we'll hear back from yshish.

Posted

I'm betting the list mentioned is this one from the Discussion Boards homepage:
    Popular Hashtags:

gentoo
    egg
    chicks
    adelie
    magellanic
    nesting
    skua
    rockhopper
    humans
    chinstrap
    antarctic
    rockhoppers
    eggs
    penguinpostoffice
    snowy
    blurry
    gentoos
    shag
    dark
    sheathbill

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Popular Hashtags is a nice feature, but going forward, I think I'd like to implement a "suggested hashtags" one that scientists could set up at the beginning and edit as the project goes forward.

Posted

It does seem that a list of suggested hashtags would make this tool more directly useful for the scientists. While I understand (never having used one before volunteering here) that popularity is an overriding factor in the general use of hashtags, that factor alone may not necessarily be the best use in this program.

Posted

I found this suggestion in an earlier Help thread:

by caitlin.black moderator, scientist

How about, for blurry images #blurry and for dark images #blackout.

Posted