Penguin Watch Talk

Chicks or Adults?

• jeferbrooks by jeferbrooks

Are the penguins that are part fluffy, considered chicks? How would you like these to be marked?

Posted

• KenBurson by KenBurson

I did the tutorial and one image and so would like to give some feedback. As jeferbrooks says, it's hard to tell chicks from adults. In many cases, there is little of the penguin to see. It would help if the tutorial included some practice with feedback: the volunteer marks the picture and the site scores the attempt, for example. Also, the sample photos of adults and chicks are not high quality, so better images would help. Having larger images--both of samples of penguins and of the target scenes--would also help, as often there are penguins in the distance (though the magnifier does help). Finally, the marking process was a bit buggy. At first, marking happened with just a click, then clicking produced the magnifier and the magnifier icon on the magnifier had to be clicked to mark the penguin. I would bet that we volunteers are producing a bunch of bogus data. I would love to participate but would want to know that I was doing it correctly. Please contact me at my email if I've missed or misunderstood something or if you initiate improvements. Best!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

The going advice here is: if you can't tell, mark them as adults.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to KenBurson's comment.

Hi @Ken

Thanks for your comment. I can help you with the identification of chicks and adults. Here are the main differences: CLICK HERE to read the thread. For some more information about moulting CLICK HERE.

Hope it will help you for now. If not, let me know and I'll try better:)

Don't worry so much about your mistakes. Each image is classified by several users.

Zuzi

Posted