Penguin Watch Talk

magnification

• charclick1 by charclick1

I wish there was a way to magnify well. The circle that covers the subject is so blurry, it's hard to make sure whether it's an adult or chick sometimes. Have not been able to see any eggs.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hi Charclick1
    The possibility of having more magnification has been raised with the developers, but unfortunately it still doesn't look like it's something we can do any time in the near future.
    It is still on our wish list.
    This is actually one of the more difficult pictures to count as the camera is some distance from the penguins and at this time of year the chicks are getting quite big.
    Hopefully you will find some of the others easier.
    As a general rule, if you can't tell whether a penguin is an adult or a chick, please mark it as an adult.
    As for eggs - they are rarely seen. Have a look here for the breeding cycles -
    that will give you an idea what time of year you can expect to find eggs.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to charclick1's comment.

I have a program on my computer ('magnifier') which certainly brings up a bigger image - but the image is just as blurry. I think we might be up against the definition of the image within the camera.
    Importantly several people will mark each picture, so there's a good chance that all the details will be picked up.

Posted