Penguin Watch Talk

Other animals

• gail3511 by gail3511

Sometimes I'm not sure about "other" or it's not on the list - like a seal. what should be done with others of unknown or unlisted species?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gail3511's comment.

Hi @gail3511

If you see an other animal like a seal or a reindeer or a turkey vulture.. or anything else which is not listed among the Other animals, just mark it as one of the listed birds (as a brown skua/white sheathbill/Southern giant petrel) and don't worry whether it is a bird or another animal. Then you can leave a comment if you want to:)

Thank you for the question! Enjoy the counting:)

Zuzi

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Z - I think it is possibly to mark something as "other" without selecting which kind of other. That is what I have been doing for things not on the list. Does it record that properly?
    And if so, is that what we should be suggesting?
    N&P

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

That's what I had been doing also, Nickypeng, with an accompanying comment to clarify what I had seen. Then I was told not to, and that that issue would be brought to the scientists. I haven't heard back and would love to be sure to get it right.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

I've asked about that option the scientists some time ago. I used a seal as an example. This is the answer I got from Caitlin:

'The coords are recorded as other with no value. I'm not sure you can overload the answer to mean seals for every user here as some may just forget to click an answer. Without a selection the marking output would look like, x, y, "" (no value). You could use these to overload "other" i.e. selections which don't exist'.

So yes, you can just mark them as Others without the selection but it is perfectly correct to mark them as any of the listed birds but not buildings nor humans!:]

Z.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

OK - I think I'll keep marking it as Other without selecting anything
    Thanks

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Thank you, yshish. That clears it up. I shall mark "Other" with no selection when I see something not on the list.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Yes, you can. I do it myself too;)

Posted