Penguin Watch Talk

Problem not staying logged in

• GladysW by GladysW

This is a problem that started happening today. When I am on the discussion boards, and then select "return to classifying," I am no longer logged in. Whenever I have done this in the past, I remained logged in and could immediately get back to classifying. Today I have tried this five or six times, and each time it returned me to the http://www.penguinwatch.org/#/classify page, with the tutorial displayed. I have to exit out of the tutorial and log in before I see a new image. This is time consuming and annoying.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to GladysW's comment.

Thanks for the report, @GladysW ... I can't say this is happening to me. Is it happening to anyone else?

What browser are you using?

We can try to get this fixed for you. 😃

Thanks!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

To be honest, it has been happening to me too since I became a zooite:] just not as often and not here on the PW, but in the Plankton Portal. Usually about several times a week. I always thought it is caused by the slow internet connection we have at home.. Could it be?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

It's never happened to me on OldWeather. I can leave my transcription page open, or close it and come back, with no problem. However, our forum is a separate beast to the transcription area I think, so my comment may not help. I'm glad that we are looking into this. It must be very frustrating GladysW

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

I'm using FireFox 35.0 - latest version. It just occurred to me that FireFox was updated yesterday - maybe this problem started with that new version of FireFox? I've also tried it on Internet Explorer 10.0.10 and it works fine, so that means it doesn't have anything to do with my internet connection. Is anyone else out there using FireFox 35.0?

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

Now, this is REALLY odd. When I select "return to classifying," I am no longer logged in, as described above. But, if instead of logging in I select the "Discuss" link on the classification page, it takes me back to the discussion page and I am still logged in!

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

I am using Google Chrome with Windows 7 and have not had this problem.

Gladys - just a thought, if you stated at the classifying page before going to the discussion board, if you go back to the classifying page using the back button instead of the "return to classifying" button, does that work?

And thank you for your perseverance. We really do appreciate your help trying to sort out technical problems and we know it is annoying when things don't work properly.

Nicky & Peng

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

Very interesting. I logged in at the classifying page, then hit Discuss to go to the discussion board (where I was still logged in). Then I immediately hit the back button on the browser. It took me back to the classifying page, but I was NOT logged in. I then hit Discuss to go back to the discussion board, and I WAS logged in.

BTW, I enjoy identifying software problems and getting them fixed almost as much as I enjoy counting penguins!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to GladysW's comment.

Thanks for the details. We'll have a look on that. Reposting that to the devs..

Sorry for the troubles!

Z_

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator in response to GladysW's comment.

Wow - someone who ENJOYS software problems !!

DZM - Quick, recruit this lady right away!

Thank you for your help

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to GladysW's comment.

Hi,

Please, try to clear the browser cache. It might be a problem with old JS code libraries.

Then let me know whether it helps or not.

Thanks!!
    Z.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Nickypeng's comment.

IDing software problems is fun when we can get them fixed!

It's the tricky un-replicable ones that we can't seem to figure out what's causing them that's the problem! 😃

@GladysW -- let us know if you still have the problems after a cache clear. (Be sure you clear your cookies, too!) Thanks!!

Posted

Similar problem happening to me right now (on Google Chrome). I put a classification through - and suddenly I was logged out and back to the tutorial. The only way to get back in was to enter the penguinwatch address in my browser...then it recognized me and gave me a picture to classify. But when I submitted that pic - guess what? Back out again. I'm not logged into OldWeather at the moment if that helps? 😕

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried to clear your browser cache and cookies? Please, try and let me know whether it helped or not.
    Z.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

I am using Google Chrome and having no problems. Have been jumping from screen to screen with no problem.

Posted

Hi Z & NP
    I'll have ago this evening .. if the problem turns up again .. and report back. I'll have a go at clearing the history as you suggest 😕
    Cheers, Joan

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to AvastMH's comment.

Not (just) the history... it's not the history that's the problem, typically. It's the cache and the cookies. Please try that, and let us know! 😃

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

Note: I am running Firefox 35.0.

I cleared everything (cache, cookies, history) and then logged in. I classified a photo, and then clicked on DISCUSS. This took me to the discussion board, and I was still logged in. I clicked on RETURN TO CLASSIFYING and I was at the classification screen, no longer logged in, and the tutorial displayed. I clicked on DISCUSS again, and was taken to the discussion board, and was still logged in. Just for good measure I clicked on RETURN TO CLASSIFYING again, and was again no longer logged in, with the tutorial displayed.

Bottom line, clearing the cache, cookies and history had no effect.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ooh, okay, that changes things a bit. So you're simultaneously logged in on Talk, but not logged in for classifying? That means that you're not actually getting logged out, the PW page just thinks you are, I bet.

@AvastMH, is that the exact same experience that you're having?

Does this happen for you on any other Zooniverse projects, or just on Penguin Watch?

Just trying to get this narrowed down so that we can try to isolate the problem. It's always really tough if we can't replicate it, but the fact that multiple people are having it might help us figure out exactly what the issue is. Thank you!!

Posted

Hi DZM, Yes - GladysW's problem was the same as mine. But I'm running on Google Chrome. And tonight it has not happened once (so frustrating when you are trying to spot what's happening). I've had no trouble with OldWeather at all, either with transcribing or with the forum (you have to log into each separately of course). PW and OW are the only two projects that I do. Should I try another one if I get the same problem again? (As long as it is not the Higgs Hunter - can't fathom that one at all - oops 😉 )

Posted

Yes, you definitely should try the Plankton Portal!! 😉 and then let us know!

Thank you.

Posted

OK - I'll give it a go tomorrow! Just don't tell the OldWeather-ers 😉

Posted

Psst, Liz (one of the Oldweather-ers) is a Plankton-lover too! (But I haven't told that to you!!😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, so this seems to be fixed for @AvastMH ... Need to know if it has self-repaired for @GladysW , too.

If not, Gladys, could you please try a different project, and a different browser for this project? Thank you!!

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

It has self-repaired for me as well! Note that all the while I was having this problem with my Firefox browser, I was NOT having it with Internet Explorer. I also did not have the problem with other projects, but I spend about 95% of my time on Penguin Watch (they are irresistible) so that's not a very good sample size.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Glad to hear that it's fixed!! 😃

Posted