Penguin Watch Talk

Even start marking these penguins?

• Hedvaa by Hedvaa

Do you even start marking these penguins of just click right on 'too many pinguins to mark' button?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Mad view eh? 😄
    We do need a count for the scientists, they prefer you to mark those closest to the camera first. Mark them across the picture rather than one small patch. Then, when you cannot mark any more easily, or have reached 30 of any category (adults/chicks), submit it as 'Too many to count'.

A few of us have marked these Hedvaa. I have a few times, I think the largest number was 179 adults and about 230 chicks. It is a vast sea of penguins isn't it? I tend to mark less pictures now - but try to count as many of the penguins as possible. But remember - although it is nice to get complete numbers, we do only ask you to count up to 30!
    Happy counting - and thank you for joining in with PenguinWatch 😃

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

The highest we've have managed was 1300 - starting at the front we got back about half way through the watery area. It helps a lot to have a large monitor! But it did take a long time and my mouse hand was getting cramp.

We greatly appreciate having you on PenguinWatch counting at all, regardless of how many you count. So don't feel compelled to keep going forever, or feel guilty about not trying to count them all.

How many there are altogether I can't begin to imagine. Maybe if you could measure the average number of penguins per unit area (ie. the penguin density factor) and then measure the total area covered by penguins, you could work out an estimate of the total number. Easier than actually counting!

But wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to be there and count them all in person (or should that be in penguin).

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

1300 sounds unbelievable!😃 I guess that one wasn't shaded at all. Anyway, you're really AWESOME!! 😃 Great to have you here.

Z.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I wonder if some of these larger photos need additional shading... maybe just 1/8th of the screen. And even that can be over 100 penguins! There are SO MANY PENGUINS!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Ah but the challenge DZM, that's the teaser... the squinting at the screen, peering into that magnifying circle, cleaning your reading glasses especially for those distant pengs. There's nothing like it! 😄

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

A lot of the pictures of this King colony are shaded, but a few obviously slip through the shading process. The ones where I've counted over 1000 have been unshaded. Please don't increase the shading - I think people like to see whole pictures occasionally (as long as we emphasize that they don't need to try to count them all).

Did you see this comment: "i'm amazed to see these great images you wouldn't really see in a film. best animal pics ever " http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000001/discussions/DPZ00006zd

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

the squinting at the screen, peering into that magnifying circle, cleaning your reading glasses especially for those distant pengs. There's nothing like it!

I am so very, very glad that we have people who enjoy that. You da real MVP. 😃

Posted