Penguin Watch Talk

Testing the classification on tablets

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Dear developers,

I've got a new tablet for my work so I decided to test the classification on it.. and was surprised how useless it is:( I've spent just an hour with such a device since I got it so making the screenshots was really a difficult task for me.. but here they are!

The 1st problem is, that the menu with questions/options/buttons doesn't appear properly - it covers the image badly (screenshot). It is very likely the problem which has been reported a few times already - that users are not able to mark any penguins on the right side. They actually are, but the only way to do so is to put the mark somewhere else and then move it to the necessary place. Which is not always easy.

The 2nd problem is that you can move such marks even to the 'forbidden' zone - and if you move it too far behind the margin, you're unable to remove the mark or move it back to the markable zone! (screenshot2)

The 3rd problem is, that once you place a mark, you are not able to remove it. When you click on the 'cancel' mark on the magnifier, the mark disappear for a second and appears again on the same place! I tried that like about 10 times without any success. It's very frustrating. Really!

The 4th problem is that when you finish your very very problematic classification and you're really frustrated and want to share your feelings with others /or report all those problems/ it's almost impossible to click on the 'Yes I want to discuss the image' button since it doesn't appear properly either. (screenshot3)

I'm feeling like 2343659 years older after this one classification attempt..

Please, could you fix that somehow? I feel so sorry for all the brave volunteers using tablets! 😦

Thank you,

Zuzi

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Thanks for your appeal for help for us tablet users! We need it!

I think what you describe is part of the zooming problem I reported on my iPad. If I carefully zoom in and out a little bit suddenly the image jumps to a smaller size, just enough so the menus at right don't overlap, and then it's not too bad except for the erratic zoom.

I have to use a tablet because my bad back hurts if I sit straight too long so my time on the big computer is reserved for my long term volunteer work, translating into Spanish some texts written by early Quakers starting about 1650. Our work gets posted on raicescuaqueras.org if you're interested. Just now we're working on the archtypal Quaker, the one whose picture is used (without permission) by Quaker Oats -- William Penn.

Posted

• camallen by camallen admin, scientist

Yshish,

It'd be nice to understand the problem more, what tablet and browser (version as well) are you using?
    Cam

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to camallen's comment.

Hi Cam,

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that in my previous post!

I'm using Android Browser 4.3 on Android (Jelly Bean); Yoga tablet 10 HD+

Zuz

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

What Yshish describes also happens regularly on my iPad but the workaround I described above helps. I use iPad iOS 8.1.3

Posted