Penguin Watch Talk

How many chicks do you see?

• ReiBlue13 by ReiBlue13

To be honest, this is the first time I tried this, and my eyes could only identify adult gentoos, but I'm afraid I may be wrong. So, could anybody please give me your opinion regarding the specie and age of the penguins?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to ReiBlue13's comment.

Hi,

As for the penguin species, we don't need to ID them in this project, the scientists just want us to mark adults and chicks 😃 Those images under the classified image on the classification page are there just to help you recognise chicks for each penguin species. It doesn't affect the classification anyhow when you switch among them.

As for the chicks, there are none visible in this photo. Adults gentoos have white head patches and black chins and their back feathers are black and stomach feathers white but chicks have rather grey back and dirty white/cream stomach. Chicks usually appear fuzzy. The unsure ones or moulting ones should be marked as adults which is the safe choice.

No need to feel sorry about possible mistakes, each image is classified by multiple users so the mistakes should get sorted out in the end..

If you're in troubles, you can always ask and we'll do our best to help you 😃 I just prefer to use this Help board for the technical issues and the science board for the questions about penguins 😉

Thanks for asking. Enjoy the classifying,

Zuzi

Posted