Penguin Watch Talk

Problem with checking old comment pictures

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello Techos,

When I press 'load more' I'm getting a weird selection of previously viewed pictures and new ones. It gets worse the further back I go - and there's no option on that -I'm having to go back 7/8/9 hours to catch up with queries. Any chance of helping please? It's very busy here just now and smoothing this would be GREAT!

Thanks,

AvastMH

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

You mean when you press "load more" on the Recents page?

... I can't replicate that at all. Is it happening on multiple browsers? What about after a sign-out and sign-in?

Thanks!!

Posted

I'll give those options a try out tomorrow DZM - thanks for that. It's so late tonight... 😃

Posted

Hi Darren,
    Late again, but I did check old pictures tonight and got this screen shot:
    28 April problem pictures

It shows that multiple appearance of pictures (see top right - yshish's comments are repeated elsewhere - and that was not because they had been replied to.
    I'm working on Chrome. What else can I tell you to help please?

ALSO if it's possible, when I reply to a long-ago post then hit my browser back button to get back to the list of photos, sometimes I go back to the bottom of the list where I'm catching up on old pics )some nearly 24 hours old, sometimes I end up right back at the most recent photos. Please could this be fixed so that I always go back to where I was working? With the current splendid turn out of new peng-zooites it's exhausting to have to keep ferreting around the list. I'd be so grateful for a fix on this one. THANKS!!

Joan

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

I do have the same issue wit repeated posts on Talk but it's nothing new. It has always been there, not only on the PW Talk.

Sometimes when I click on the 'load more' and it doesn't do anything and I click on it again, then there is a bigger chance to see some posts repeated or it miss them and load some older ones instead (so I don't see the group of comments at all). I'm in a hurry now, could check it later and make sure how does it behave exactly...

Z.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Yes I have been having this problem too. But it is sporadic - no apparent pattern to it. It seemed OK to me today - so far... .
    I did wonder if it had something to do with there being large amounts of traffic but if it happens on other sites, then its probably not that.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I imagine that this is related to our hiccup-y API of late. It's something that our back-end developer is trying to shore up.

I think that most of these "sporadic" problems are related to the API issues. Working on it!

As for the back button, that's something that is an endemic problem with Talk, and isn't really repairable. The back button is just a harsh taskmaster, and making it work properly is a major focus of the new-Talk build. It might be helpful for you to open things in new tabs so that you don't lose your place?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Hey, The problem is that it doesn't allow us to open the posts in the new tab! 😦 It simply doesn't work in any browser I've tried, neither on Ubuntu nor on Windows.. I know you told me it does work for you but it sound like a sci-fi to me 😃

Posted

I'v never been able to open things into a new tab :-\

Thanks for the info about the back button.

Guess we'll just have to live in hope for better things in the new Talk.

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

If you right click on an image on your profile page, then you can select open in new tab. gardenmaeve taught me this. Then by changing the numeral in the address, you can check out previous times for that site - at least sometimes it works that way.

I hope I understood your question.

Posted

Oh! Thanks Motherjoanne - and gardenmaeve 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Motherjoanne's comment.

Hi,

Thanks, but we're actually talking about something else. I'll try to explain:

When you look at the image thumbnails on the Talk, you can see only the last 12 ones. You can't read the whole comment without opening/entering the post which can't be done opening it in a new tab (at least it doesn't work for none of us). You simply have to go to the post and then hit the BACK button to get back.

It isn't a problem until you have a few hundreds of unread posts which you need to check and reply.

First you have to click the 'Load more' button many times to load them all. When you click on thumbnail (=visit the post) and then use the back button, you lost your previous position in the almost endless list of thumbnails. You have to scroll down and up and look for the comment you visited the last time:] (OK, I use search function for keywords to find that post more quickly but it is complicated and time-consuming either).

If there is a way to make possible to open the posts in a new tab, it would safe much time and would make all the moderators across all the projects more happy 😃 😃 😃

Hope it is clearer now.

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Yes- the issue with thumbnails is a time waster- hope it can be fixed as Zuzi has suggested. We do appreciate happy moderators! 😄

gardenmaeve

(P.S. The other search tool Motherjones was discussing is, as said, something else entirely, and is a tool the moderators already know. 😃 )

Posted

Thanks Zuzi - that's clearer - and definitely what I was concerned about.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

Huh, you're right. I think I misunderstood when we talked about this before.

I wonder if anything can be done about it... I'm going to do a little bit of pestering and get back to you.

EDIT: We MAY have a solution... no promises... we're trying to implement an update... hopefully without breaking anything... stay tuned...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It's fixed. You can open Recents images in new tabs, now.

Also, blue links on the main page! I guess our dev threw that in there, or it was a side effect, but blue links!

Posted

Oh THAT'S AMAZING.... HAPPY DAY! Please say a big 'thank you' to the developers. And a big 'thank you' to you too DZM!

Please -do you think they'll be able to fix the problem of the weird mixing up of the pictures?...though this is less important than the above fix?

THANKS AGAIN!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

OH MY! It really works!!! It is my dream come true! 😃 I'm going to spend the night opening all the thumbnails in new tabs!!!!! Awesome 😃 😃 😃

Many many thanks, guys. Hope the change hasn't cased any new issues.

Z.

Posted