Penguin Watch Talk

No Animals vs I Can't Tell

• ronbatie by ronbatie

On night or dark images (ghostly black and white, and, I guess even some of the blue / pale nondescript ones) I have been choosing "no animals." Should I be choosing "I can't tell"?

Daylight / daytime images is not an issue - either you see animals or you don't. But others where I clearly cannot see animals - images where it is dark or snow or ice may be obscuring the lens consequently obscuring animals - I'm wondering if I should be tagging those photos as "I can't tell" rather than "no animals." I've been choosing the latter as I figured no one would be able to find and mark animals anyway.

Posted

• banthesun by banthesun

When there's snow on the camera or it's pitch black, that's the perfect time for a "I can't tell"! I think "No Animals" is for when there's no penguins at the site at all.

Multiple people mark each image though, and I think the scientists could tell that the penguins didn't dissapear for a night, so don't worry about the ones you've already marked!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to banthesun's comment.

Hi,

Exactly as @banthesun said (thanks for that!), the 'No animals' button is for empty ground only = you're sure there is no one present since you can see the ground well. Then for the cases when animals are in the shaded zone (completely = not a part of their body is in the markable area).

We use the 'I can't tell' button for images which are too dark/blurry/misty/.. that you can't see whether there are any animals present since the view is obscured.

Hope it is clearer now.

Thanks for asking; enjoy the counting 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted