Penguin Watch Talk

Completion Eligibility

• SoloBro by SoloBro

Hi all,
    This website is an amazing idea, and the new competiton is an aded bonus. I am 17 though, does that make me ineligible? I didn't see anything about age in the terms and conditions.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to SoloBro's comment.

Hi,

It is a good question. I've just checked the conditions and they say:

"The Competition is open to all residents of the United Kingdom, Europe and North America excluding Quebec, Canada and Australian residents, who have attained the age of 21 by April 15, 2015, with a valid passport."
    [Source]

I'm sorry to bring you such a bad news.. Hope it hasn't made you too sad.

Zuzi

Posted

• SoloBro by SoloBro

Dang I missed that. Thanks Zuzi.

Posted

• mpknowles by mpknowles

Hello, I have been getting a message all afternoon that says "Looks like we're temporarily out of data to classify. Please check back later!" But I am seeing other penguin watchers posting comments about images, during this time. Do you know why I am not getting photos? I have tried two different browsers. I would like to complete my minimum 10 daily images for an entry. 😉 Thanks!

Posted

• GladysW by GladysW

I am also getting that message, and I see comments from other penguin watchers.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to GladysW's comment.

Hi guys,

Please, read this thread: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000cvh?page=1&comment_id=554fdadda77a1b5da600023e

Actually, the only ones who are able to classify should be users which haven't classified any of the last remaining images yet. Each image needs to be classified by multiple users. So you have already classified those but someone else haven't.. I believe the new data will be available soon!

State tuned, please. I'm really sorry for the whole situation but cannot do more for you at this moment.

Zuzi

Posted

• anjalimanohar by anjalimanohar

Hi.. I am from India, so I see I am not eligible. 😦 I wish Indians were eligible!

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

We wish everyone was eligible, anjalimanohar. We hope you will enjoying penguin counting anyway. 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I am also sorry to hear that are not eligible anjalimanohar. And I agree with gardenmaeve. Quark Expeditions are running the competition and not the Zooniverse. The only way to affect the outcome would be to contact Quark Expeditions.

It is little compensation to know that several of our penguin counters are from Australia and cannot join either. I'd like to win, but the prize is just the floating bit - you have to transport yourself to Ushuaia which will prove beyond the purse of me and many counters I should think.

I'm still in love with the penguins so, whatever happens with the competition, they are the winners in my book. You're a real star to keep counting...I'll say a 'thank you' for the penguins 😃

Posted

• AnneLEvans by AnneLEvans

Is there a place that the contest winner will be posted?

Posted

@AnneL.Evens-It's specified in the full contest rules: http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/en/penguin-watch-and-quark-expeditions-competition?_ga=1.211591762.698748156.1429627101
    "Winners... will be contacted by telephone or email by a representative of Quark Expeditions. The winning Competition entrant must reply within 10 calendar days of notification to maintain eligibility. Once notified, if the selected entrant does not respond, another randomly selected entrant will be contacted..."

Posted

It would be very nice if Quarks adjusted the message on our front page to note that the compeition has entered the 'choose the winner phase'. Also to note the astonishing efforts our counters put in over that time and to say 'thank you' for it on behalf of the Zooniverse scientists. 😃

Posted

• AnneLEvans by AnneLEvans

I didn't expect to win, just thought it would be fun to find out who did!

Posted

Sure it would have been! I expect that since the winner has a certain amount of time to confirm, it will take at least that long before Quark makes any public announcement.

Ah well, happy counting!

Posted

• Parissa by Parissa

Are there any news or updates from Quark Expeditions regarding the competition?

I was hoping that they'd keep us posted and share the process with the community of volunteers.

enter image description here

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

I expect that since the winner has a certain amount of time to
    confirm, it will take at least that long before Quark makes any public
    announcement.

Probably this! 😃

Posted

• Parissa by Parissa

I'm still wondering why there's no news about this. Did it happen? Is there a winner? There should be some sort of update about it.

Posted

I was wondering that as well parissa. We are just a few days off one month after the end of the competition. I'm numbed by the lack of any engagement with PW by Quarks. It seems very sad to me.

Also they promised some runner-up prizes. If they are still struggling to get a winner, I guess that's why no-one has been announced as winning a runner up prize. Feels like a damp squibb right now. I'd like to ask them but I think that it might be out of order. I'll ask DZM to see if there's anything.

Oh well - back to the penguins - at least they are constant - bless them 😃 😃 😃

Posted

OK - tripped over blogs for Quark's and found a few blogs for us. Wasn't aware of these at all so will try to post them here when they happen. 😃 It's a relief to find them 😃

http://blog.quarkexpeditions.com/meet-penguinologist-dr-tom-hart

and

http://blog.quarkexpeditions.com/world-penguin-day-fun-penguin-facts-you-need-to-know

Posted

• Parissa by Parissa

Thank you for your comments and for looking into this @AvastMH, I agree with you. 😃 Also for many volunteers, it'd be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get to visit the little penguins in person, so I was hopping to see a bit of a buzz around the winner and the whole story. Anyway, we're all as volunteers for penguins and if our work helps their lives in any positive way, I'll call that a win-win.

Posted