Penguin Watch Talk

Clarification about magnification using the circle

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I think we have raised this issue before. But I'm waiting to hear back from deandsusan as to whether there is a problem with their circle magnification. Any further thoughts please?

Posted

• ronbatie by ronbatie

I use the "circle magnification" on almost all the images, it works well but not great. If I can't see distant images, well, I can't see distant images - sometimes my search image tells me it is a penguin, but if I'm not confident that it is then I won't mark it. In any event, I find the magnification and resolution better on the images in the comments. A lot of times I'll link over to the comment page and pan around to get a better look, but unfortunately at that point you're already through marking so it doesn't help with your counts.

Posted

• ronbatie by ronbatie

p.s. I think there is a bit of a learning curve to using the site and marking penguins, figuring out what works best for you. Maybe I'm lame, but I have two problems that occur regularly. One is closing the magnification circles. I'll position the hand over the "x" and click, but oops, now I've got another magnification circle. It's not unusual for me to be trying to now close three marks for penguins that don't exist.

The other problem I have is getting to the correct menu item. When moving between, say, adult and chick I most often have to click it twice. This morning I marked close to 20 chicks as adults until I realized it didn't "take." A single click on the menu often highlights, say, "chick," but doesn't actually register the adult to chick change. In that case I had to drag the marks onto adults and then make sure "chicks" was fully engaged. That's just an example of what I've figured out, and what I have to watch out for.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

You've figured it out pretty well, ronbatie. If you have marked a penguin or another animal and simply wish to close the circle, click on the tiny yellow magnifier icon on the rim of the circle rather than the X. I find the correct menu item issue only occurs for me when I am hurrying. Take your time, make it a clean, not sliding, click, visually check, and you should be fine. Thanks for all your hard work!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to ronbatie's comment.

Hi,

Have you read the FAQs? There is an advice how to get the full resolution image during the classification.

Hope this will help.

As for the problem that the page sometimes doesn't accept your click while switching among adult / chick / egg / other.. It is a problem we know about but no one has been able to fix it yet 😦 .. It happens at other projects too. I will ask the developers whether there is a chance to solve this.. Thanks for highlighting that.

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• ilofog by ilofog

Would it be possible to introduce the "pan" option to the classification stage which is available when you click on the "comment" option,but not before. I've spotted more things looking at the closeup when placing a comment, but at that point you can't go back to classification any more.

The magnification helps, but not as much.

Posted

• ibaiqr by ibaiqr

One problem I encounter when using magnification on far penguin groups is that at some point I can no longer tell whether I am marking a new penguin or one i have marked before (In such cases I have to stop marking the zone or remove all marks and start again). I think it would be nice if, while using magnification, a small coloured pixel (e.g. red or orange) would appear over each marked location (on the magnified image, that is).

I also find that the crosshairs do sometimes remove too much of the image, I don't know if a single pixel at the center would be better, or maybe thinner crosshair lines. This may just be a matter of perception anyway.

Posted

Hello ilofog and ibaiqr,

I understand both of your ideas. I find it frustrating to have such a small magnification circle, and also not to have a small spot to put on the penguins. Let me see if this can be addressed - though I suspect that the current system is producing good enough results. ONE TIP that I might be able to help with for ibaiqr is that you can use the 'Hide old marks' button to the top left of your classification picture. This makes the crosses very dim, and so it is easier to see 'new' penguins. You can turn this on and off as much as you like to help. Other than that, marking distant penguins crowded together is just very concentrated work. I did 670 on the King penguin site the other day. And after that I went for a cup of tea and a rest 😃

Most importantly though - THANK YOU for all the hard work you are putting into helping the penguins 😃

Posted

• ibaiqr by ibaiqr in response to AvastMH's comment.

Thanks for your suggestion, AvastMH. I just realized that by using the mouse wheel you can make the crosses thinner and smaller without making them dim.... May help when penguins are very close and you don't need magnification, because the magnifying glass then becomes a really small thing....

On the other hand, it is possible to use the mouse wheel to increase the size of the magnifying glass (which in turn makes all marks quite big - but you might then use the 'Hide old marks' button.....).

Posted

Oh gosh! well - you're one step ahead of me ibaiqr! I'm using Chrome and find that the wheel just moves the screen BUT using 'ctrl+' or 'ctrl-' does increase the circle size and shows much greater magnification. Very handy. As you say it leaves a big cross but 'Hide old marks' helps with that. I need to get this into the FAQ (we're flat out with work just now, but it will happen!). THANK YOU!

Posted