Penguin Watch Talk

Map of where picture was takem

• kej328 by kej328

Is there a way to find out where each photo has been taken? I see the map of all of the cameras...but it is static and hard to tell each location. Would love to see were each picture is from.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to kej328's comment.

Hi @kej328

I'm sorry but it isn't possible at this moment. We (moderators) can tell the location of some rookeries but we don't know them all (there are over 50, maybe even 70?, cameras installed). But I'll ask Tom (one of the scientists) whether it would be possible to display at least the name of the island or part of the land, below the images (as it is at other projects like Plankton Portal or Floating Forests).

@DZM Is there any chance it will happen? 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Probably up to Tom if we'd want it, and then up to the developers if they'd have any time for it. 😃

As always, we're super busy and I don't think there's any real dev time for PW enhancements at the moment. But if Tom or the other scientists wants, it could go in the repo for a future enhancement.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Of course, thanks, that answers my question 😃

Posted

• kej328 by kej328 in response to DZM's comment.

Thank you yshish and DMZ. Would love to see even a Google map of the camera locations.

Posted

• kej328 by kej328 in response to DZM's comment.

I am actually a Geographic Information Systems professional. If you can provide lat/longs for the cameras (and maybe if the camera has a name) I can volunteer to create an embeddable Google map for the Penguin Watch site in my free time. I can email details if there is an email address I can contact.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

oh gosh - I hope that's possible - it would be great fun for us kej328. 😄

Posted

Hi,

Thank you very much for your offer! I agree with @AvastMH that it would be great. We're actually waiting for a reply from our busy scientists. I have no idea whether the monitored sites/cameras may be located publicly. It depends on them. Personally, I think that knowing just the name of the island or an approximate part of the land would be good enough for our needs. Unfortunately, we cannot do anything more now, but keep waiting.

Zuzi

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator in response to kej328's comment.

Wow - that would be great if you could do that KEJ.

We did find the Visitor Site Guidelines issued by the Secretariat of the Antarctic Treaty, which give details of the most frequently visited sites, with maps and lat/longs. We know where some of the sites are - for example the Penguin Post office at Port Lockroy, several sites at Peterman Island.
    But we couldn't get any more specific than that.
    To be able to identify exactly where each site is would be wonderful.

NickyPeng

Posted

• kej328 by kej328 in response to yshish's comment.

Hi @AvastMH , @yshish and @Nickypeng,
    I know that there is a map on the Penguin Lifelines site- it's just not interactive. Do any of you happen to know the best person to contact there to get some location info? From the looks of the pictures that I've classified so far, it looks like some of the cameras may not be on the most frequently visited list - but I'm not a penguinologist 😉 Please let me know of any findings.
    Thanks,
    Kristina

Posted

• kej328 by kej328 in response to kej328's comment.

Opps thought the map was on Penguin Lifelines, but it's on the Penguin Watch Home page! Trying to keep the penguins in order. Either way, please let me know who best to contact for that info over there- or if I should just send and email directly to Tom Hart, since his contact information is listed.

Posted

Hi Kristina,

The map on the Field Guide page is old and doesn't show all the locations..

As for the contacting Tom, I've already emailed him a few times about this and now waiting for his replies. It always takes time 😃 Just to be patient...

Thanks,

Zuzi

Posted