Penguin Watch Talk

Krill Oil

• 2rjnauta by 2rjnauta

Will the human consumption of krill oil effect the penguins ability to find food?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Good question. I'd like to know if the human consumption of krill oil will turn our noses bright red? 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

That makes me laugh but I have to say 'I REALLY HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!' I think that the appalling slaughter of krill to feed farmed salmon (makes them a pretty pink for human eyes to admire), and '1st world' humans who can get all the right nutrition from other sources, is terrifying. Turning people's noses red would put us off eating the stuff. I hope it happens. I suspect that the fishing quota for krill is already being abused...I've certainly heard it reported so. And how will the beautiful whales survive?
    Sorry to sound passionate about this, but krill are just so important. We're working out that it's better not to eat shark fin soup so that the sharks survive, I hope that the tiny krill benefit from the same change of heart and mind. :-
    In the meantime you can help out the Krill's food by having a go on the Zooniverse: PLANKTON PORTAL - it's the place for you ! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

YES!!! 😃 xx

Posted

• 2rjnauta by 2rjnauta in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

I don't use the stuff but I know someone who does... no sign of a red nose yet!

Posted

• 2rjnauta by 2rjnauta in response to AvastMH's comment.

I will look at the plankton portal today. Thanks for the information.

Russ Nauta

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Great going Russ - you'll see a lot of Zuzi (yshish) there - she's brilliant at it. There's a few PengWatchers there in fact. It took me a while to the hang of Plankton Portal , but now I really enjoy it.

Best tip:
    look back through everyone else's queries and start up a collection for each type of bug shown on the choice charts! Open up PP twice so you can classify on one, and on teh other open version you can look up you collections to help identify odd things. Enjoy! 😄

Posted

• 2rjnauta by 2rjnauta

Thanks to both of you. I have been on the PP now for a day and have a lot to learn before I'm any good at it!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to 2rjnauta's comment.

Thanks for giving it a try! Here are some advices:

• Look at the Field Guide first, it's very helpful.

• Ask questions and read others' comments to images.

• The Mediterranean image set is easier than the Californian. So start with that one.

• Don't panic! 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to 2rjnauta's comment.

We appreciate your being here! Ask all the questions you like. We're here to help (well, @yshish certainly is! I can just handle tech stuff. :p)

Posted