Penguin Watch Talk

Checking I Am Doing This Right!

• TranquilCorner by TranquilCorner

Hi, I'd like to just check out a couple of things for future marking...
    In this image there are penguins in the top right corner that I can't see clearly. I have marked the ones I think I can see for definite and left any that I am in doubt about. Is that the right way? Or should I mark even those I think I see?
    Also, it's that time of year when the king penguin chicks in this photo are obviously changing from being chicks to adults. The one right in the centre of this photo for example is getting its adult head and tail, but still has his chick body. I have marked these as chicks. Is this correct? I know these are probably silly questions to you, but I just want to be sure I'm doing this right!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

hi TranquilCorner!

Thank you so much for checking with us. We're always delighted to help. 😃

You're almost spot on:

'In this image there are penguins in the top right corner that I can't see clearly. I have marked the ones I think I can see for definite and left any that I am in doubt about. Is that the right way? Or should I mark even those I think I see? ' Mark those that you are sure of. Don't mark any that you can't really see properly. But if you are thinking that there might be more take the best route and say 'too many to count'. that warns the scientists that the picture may have been poor but there could be better numbers. ALSO remember that about 10 people mark each picture so all should be well.

Also, it's that time of year when the king penguin chicks in this photo are obviously changing from being chicks to adults. The one right in the centre of this photo for example is getting its adult head and tail, but still has his chick body. I have marked these as chicks. Is this correct? OK - this is a group of Gentoos. See that white headflash or 'tiara' on their heads? You only get those on Gentoo heads.
    Now - there's a tricky moment when the chicks give up their fluffy coats and turn into adults. Guess what - the adults moult their feathers at the same time. So the adults look a bit fuzzy/fluffy too. And at this point it is very hard to tell so the rule is 'if you are not sure mark as an adult'. If you get a good look under their chins you will see that Gentoo adults have black chins and throats, but if that's still white then it's a chick. But it is very hard to tell.

One of our FAQs has got plenty of good photos to help: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000ac2

Happy marking - feel welcome to check back with us at any time 😄

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

One more thought from another moderator- The penguin species photos at the bottom of your screen when you are marking a photo are not telling you the species, and you are not expected to use them as part of marking. They are there to remine you what the adult and young of each species looks like. So when you aren't sure if you are looking at adults or chicks, take another look down there, clicking on one species photo, then another until you find the one that matches what you see in the photo you are classifying. Now you can tell which in your photo are adults and which are chicks. 😃 Some rookeries have more than one species, so keep looking carefully.

Keep asking questions, and we always recommend that volunteers spend lots of time studying both the FAQs and the photos that have already been classified, including comments, questions, and moderator replies and links. It's an effective way to use the FAQs in am meaningful way right off the bat!

Posted