Penguin Watch Talk

Many many many penguins

• piglety by piglety

I've marked where I can, but would an approximate idea of the banding of juveniles and adults be useful or not?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Its tempting to say 'yes' because they do always appear in apparent bands. But the mix of chicks and adults, where they do mix, does add to information about feeding times and frequencies of visiting chicks. The smaller sites benefit from being able to show those details very easily, so we have to do the same with this one. Inevitably the front section here will have the greater focus, but I think our long term highly experienced markers probably go mad to see how many they can mark (highest I saw was about 740, I never got beyond 640). Essentially the more detail we can provide the better the analysis that comes out of it. And if Dr Hart and colleagues are to get YET MORE Antarctic waters protected from human fishing, they need excellent information.

It's just great being able to be part of that protection. I hope you are enjoying it too 😃

On a lighter note this site gave rise to two new words: penguillion and chickzillion 😉

Posted

• Pendileno by Pendileno

Im enjoying a volunteer too; I first heard about this on the news and thought I can do that`.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Wonderful Pendelino! That news programme has helped us a lot. We have long-standing volunteers who sometimes mark up to 1000 pictures a day, and that's awesome for those people to manage that. But we are now getting 1000 pictures every 15/20 minutes. This all puts helping the penguins that bit closer to making competing the science that helps Dr Tom Hart work to protect their feeding grounds.

YOU are making the difference, You are saving penguins right now, and YOU are a citizen scientist who's won the 'job' because humans are better at recognising things like this than computers. In fact you are ALSO training computers to be smarter at this too. So put this on your list of 'things I've done to help my planet' and be very proud.

Well done to you and ALL of our great volunteers 😄

Posted

• Pendileno by Pendileno

Thanks 😃

Posted