Penguin Watch Talk

Birds in the background

• elovell1 by elovell1

Some of the images show several black and white blobs in the distance. Some I'm pretty sure are gentoos, others could be another seabird. Do you want them left unmarked if I'm not sure what I'm looking at?

Posted

• jeannieC by jeannieC

They are Gentoos. I've been counting them - well as many as possible as those in the far distance are hard to separate...

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi elobell1 and jeannieC!

Well this is interesting. I have a huge screen and I can see that they are penguins up there so I mark them..But, elobell1, if you are not sure DON'T mark them. The problem is that there are plenty of snow covered rocks that can look like penguins at a distance. So ONLY MARK if you are sure yourself 😃 Each picture is marked by plenty of people and some, like me and jeannieC, will be able to mark more distant penguins, so all will be well 😃

There'a a great FAQ on poor/difficult images: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000aay

Happy counting!

Posted

• jeannieC by jeannieC

A zoom feature, such as we have for images in this section, would be very useful when counting! 😃

Posted

• jeannieC by jeannieC

Another thought, those penguins in the far distance could possibly be Rockhoppers - is this their territory? Though some of them look far too big so I think they are Gentoos that have just come ashore (or are just going fishing).

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello again! 😃

Because of the way the mapping system works (in the background - we never see it) we cannot make any further zooming possible. Last year our scientists confirmed that distant penguins would be best covered by finishing with 'too many to mark', and if it is possible to pop a mark on at least one of them, that would help nicely too.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to jeannieC's comment.

I've taken a really good look at the background picture and I do see some headflashes on them. I think this is Booth Island, so Gentoos would be expected. The rocks look more distant than I believe they are and this would cause them to seem larger than expected. We did see some Rockhoppers last year, from Bleaker Island. This year we are seeing their cousins the Macaronis (if you search for our pet name for it you will see some, Tussocks).

Posted