Penguin Watch Talk

Half grown baby penguins?

• Babyballerina by Babyballerina

This half-fluffy one in the middle I have marked as a chick. Is that ok, or should it be an adult? i can't tell if it's really a chick or an adult molting.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi Babyballerina. Sadly you didn't get that right. At this date in the year the parents change their feathers, just at the same time as the chicks make their final change of feathers, so they look almost exactly the same. Because they are so similar we say 'mark it as an adult if you are not sure'.

But please do not worry about this picture because many other people will mark it so we will know how many where her. All will be well 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi again, @Babyballerina - I just replied to your earlier question. There is helpful information and a link for you there.

You said, "i can't tell ..."

First, and importantly, please do not mark anything unless you know what it is- you need to be sure.
    Second, these Chinstrap penguins are all moulting- new waterproof feathers are growing in for chicks and adults, so old worn feathers and baby down all are pushed out and blow away. We can't tell if they are chicks and adults much of the time during the moult, so the FAQs tell us to mark them as adult when we can't tell for sure.

Please do use the FAQs to help you learn what you are seing and how to mark. Here's the link again: Learn how to mark here in the FAQs

We're glad to have your help. You'll have more fun and mark accurately when you use those great FAQs! 😃

Posted