Penguin Watch Talk

Are those chicks or are they adults?

• AmmiZL by AmmiZL

I'm having trouble telling if there's a mix of chick and adult Chinstraps or if they're Gentoos and I have no idea.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

White head flash immediately identified adults as Gentoos. I see at least two adults in the top left corner, one top middle, and one plus part of another adult in the top right. The rest are chicks, also Gentoos- smaller, fuzzy grey and white, no headflash. Their parents are out at sea, fishing for food to feed the hungry chicks, who gather into creches while their parents are away.

Here are some thoughts for you to consider:

First, we are all asked to not mark anything we're not sure of. If you don't know how to recognize chicks and adults it's going to be frustrating, so the FAQs are your friends. Also, you can repeat the tutorial as often as you need to. I still run through both every so often. 😃

Second, once you are familiar with the hints and choices in the FAQs, you'll enjoy the pictures more if you follow those FAQs because it will all start to make sense. 😃

When you get another photo, if you can't tell if you're looking at chicks or adults, please mark as adult. If you have another question, just let me know by Private Message or in the Comments box.

Here's another way to learn- look at anyone's Collections by clicking on their name. I have one with photos I think are helpful for new Penguin Counters. You'll be fine. Thank you for helping the penguins!

Posted