Penguin Watch Talk

Not sure if chinstrap adult or king chick

• Zoonilessa by Zoonilessa

The one bird near the camera is facing away, so can't classify it. What should I do in that case?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Any time you can't tell if a penguin is adult or chick, please mark as adult. Does that help?

This rookery is neither Chinstrap nor King. These are Gentoos.
    Here's the same site two hours earlier. Gentoo rookery

Look closely at the head markings the two penguins nearest the camera.
    See that white headflash? That's the indication of an adult Gentoo penguin.

Good marking tips and protocol and key recognition marks for each species are
    all in the FAQs, so you may need to refresh your memory of them. 😉
    I've linked them here for you. Happy marking! 😃 Frequently Asked Questions here

Posted

• Zoonilessa by Zoonilessa

Thanks, yes, I figured out that they are Gentoos. The ID images along the bottom were confusing at first -- because the pictures were underneath the titles "Chinstrap" and "King" , I thought that they were pictures of a Chinstrap Adult and a King Chick. I only noticed there were different tabs later, and figured out that each tab displayed both the adult and the chick for that penguin type. So feedback for the initial instructions -- take the user through the few slides showing the penguin types. Anyway, this is a terrific project! Thanks!

Posted

I'm glad you worked your way through! I had the same experience when I started marking. We are making those ID photos much clearer to understand, so be patient, please. 😃 I am sure you'll like our improvements when they appear.

Posted

I'll just add that again, FAQs are clear about the ID images... if one reads carefully.
    From FAQ - 3rd AL: Adult or chick / penguin species-
    3] Penguin species

" There's no need (and no way) to identify the species in the classification. The penguin identification pictures under your classified image are there for your information only (to help you recognize chicks from adults). They are not linked to the counting process. The scientists know who is nesting at each site. Easy!"

As we replace the old format ID photos this point will be even more clear. 😃

Posted