Penguin Watch Talk

Juveniles and others

• HelenMarsh by HelenMarsh

I don't think that I am very good at telling whether the birds are adult or not. I tried to mark the ones on the edge as "other " but they did not seem to fit any of the options given - I see that you do think that they are cormarants. I didn't see that option.
    As to the ones lower down they could be anything.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi again, @HelenMarsh - Once again, this is a challenging site with many factors. Use the Breeding cycles in FAQs to help you learn when to expect chicks and how to recognize if you are looking at chicks or adults. We wouldn't expect you to know that at first- thus the good help in the FAQs. When chicks are nearly grown, both they and the adults are likely to be moulting a\in the same general time period, so that's a perfect time to "mark as adult" when you can't tell them apart (hard enough for the penguinologists! 😃 )

Anytime you are not sure what you see, please don't mark it. Others who also mark this are likely to have the experience to recognize and mark such tricky issues. Take as much time as you need to for each image- no need to hurry- and consult FAQs / repeat the tutorial any time you need to. Read the comments and discussions in the Recent section- I found that as much help as the FAQs when I started.

FAQs do tell us to use "Other" to mark animals we don't see listed. Of the two options given there (choose any species on the list OR chose no species, just "Other and OK) I find the second option is less confusing. This choice simply alerts the scientists that something is there than needs checking. All of the birds listed in the Other list are predators of penguins, and while cormorants/shags aren't predators, their presence is useful information. When you see seals, you'd mark them the same- just "Other", then OK.

Thank you for wanting to get it right! 😃

Posted