Penguin Watch Talk

Unclear image

• HelenMarsh by HelenMarsh

There are more birds than I marked but this image is too unclear to tell whether they are adult or not. There needs to be another choice: perhaps "I can't tell" or "Image unclear". I did not mark all the birds and there were not too many to mark.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, HelenMarsh - The FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) tell you what to do in all situations. For example, here it is night so you can't see everything clearly.

1. FAQs ask you to mark any penguins you are sure of.

2. They tell you to mark as adult if you can't tell whether adult or chick.

3. They tell you that when the image is obscured (by darkness, snow on lens, etc.) to mark what you can, then include others that are obscured by choosing "Too many penguins to count". This is what works for the scientists running the PW project. 😃

4. "I can't tell" is available at the start- it is for images for which you can't tell if any animals are present. "There are no animals present" is for images in which you can see very clearly there are no animals.

What will be most helpful for you is to become familiar with the FAQs and one way is to keep them open on a different tab or window. Another is to simply print them out to have at hand.

Thank you for your hard work learning how to mark accurately. 😃

Posted