Penguin Watch Talk

2 penguin "families"

• Enya4 by Enya4 translator

Is it possible for two penguin "families" to be close to each other? I think I see chinstraps and gentoos on this picture. Do they fight for territory? I don't think they do, but simply wondering...

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Each species has different needs for the kind of nesting conditions and feeding needed. While there are many situations in which different species use the same general area, some species are also more aggressive. Gentoos tend to be more easy-going and adaptable, though we've seen over-crowded rookeries in which Gentoos had many territorial disputes. Chinstraps and rockhoppers can be quite "scrappy".

Posted

Thank you for answering to my message! It's very interesting! 😃

Posted

Hi, @Enya4 . 😃 You're welcome. I'm glad you are interested in the penguin species we get to see on Penguin Watch. I appreciate you coming back to read the answer. Have fun marking penguins!

Posted

Thank you! I mainly do markings in the holidays (it's the only moment I have time) and rarely during school time, which is why I might not come for weeks!
    I find it great that you observe penguins, and let us participate in the markings!!! 😃

Posted

We moderators love it also, and the science team is so grateful for everyone's help.! Thanks again! 😃

Posted