Penguin Watch Talk

Objects in right bottom corner

• MrsVav by MrsVav

What are the objects in the right bottom corner? Hard to know if it's rocks or penguins. Is there a way to tell?
    Very cuious about the locations of many of the shots, is there anyway to identify the locations?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello MrsVav and welcome to PW 😃

In the bottom right corner there are mostly rocks and two penguins. I hope that the enlarged image helps. There are penguins at P1 and P2, and the rest (R) are all rocks that might look like penguins. It amazed me, and I think everyone else, that the two things look so alike!

So how to deal with this? Very easy. Only ever mark a penguin if you are sure it really is one. Anything that you are not sure of simply don't mark. That is what the scientists request and all is working very well with the details getting to them. You do get better at spotting the difference as you become more used to the pictures, but even I stop and decide not to mark things because I'm just not sure.

enter image description here

Locations. We don't know where most of them are. So mostly we give them nicknames. Our name for this site is Dragoneyes (in certain snow levels you can sort of see that pattern in the rocks). We've since discovered (by keen eyed volunteers identifying visiting tourist ships) that this is Cuverville Island.

There's a great list of names/places here:

All site nicknames

and where we noted some places and pictures of them:

New sites from November 2016

And then there's our treasure trove of marking tip help and information about the penguins and their life cycles on the FAQs page. Please do stop to read these short sections. They will very much enrich your time with PenguinWatch.

FAQ information treasure trove

And that just leaves me to thank you for helping us! Already Dr Hart has brought about the protection of some Antarctic waters from human fishing. Your work will also create the first study of penguins during darkness. This is real science so do enjoy it 😃

Best wishes, AvastMH

Posted