Penguin Watch Talk

When is a chick not a chick?

• dogsNguns by dogsNguns

I see many with adult coloration but clearly not fully grown. Maybe a sub-adult classification?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Thanks for your suggestion. The scientists have selected the classifications to fit the needs of the project.so it's Chick when the markings are as described in FAQ for chicks, and Adult otherwise.

For Gentoos, chicks will have white chins and no head flash. Adults have black chins and full head flash. Anytime it's not clear which you see, Adult is correct. During moult when both adults and chicks look similar, Adult is correct. You can make good use of the general Breeding Cycle dates as a helpful guide.

In this photo, all of the adults have clear adult markings, both male (generally larger) and female will look alike. The chicks are visiually smaller, with fuzzy down, white throats, softer coloration and lacking the head flash. I hope you continue to enjoy the project.

Posted

• jetcahill by jetcahill

Penguins that are loosing fathers, are they chicks?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Some are chicks, others are adults. Both age groups moult at about the same time, so you need to mark as Adult any time at all that you can't tell the difference easily, as during moulting.. Read our FAQ to learn exactly what to do for any photo in the project. Read the answer I gave to the previous question in this Help Board thread for specific help for this photo.

Click here to find and read FAQ: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007

I have written you a welcome message, so look for the little envelope with a red dot, top right. That's your clue there's a message for you. 😃

Welcome again to PW, and thank you!
    gardenmaeve

Posted