Penguin Watch Talk

What to do when not sure...

• KristaFB by KristaFB

Some small patches of black or white or both are too distant or indistinct for me to be sure whether it is rock or ground (or, in some other pictures, snow or ice), so I did not mark them, and I clicked "Too many to mark," even though I had only marked about a half dozen in this picture. Is that what you want?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

When you've marked all you can near the camera and suspect other penguins are too distant, partially obscured by darkness/moisture on the lens, or too many to be able to accurately mark, finishing with "Too many penguins to mark" is exactly what is needed.

When you can't tell if you see any penguins, due to distance, blurred lens, darkness, etc, choose "I can't tell".

That's what we ask in our section called FAQ, linked here:

Thank you!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Excellent KristaFB, That is exactly right. You will find yourself dealing with pictures just like this fairly often. So carry on with the good work and 'thank you!'

One other problem that catches people out is whether a penguin is a chick or adult. We simply ask that, if you are not sure, just mark the penguin as an adult. FAQ1 has marking tips, and the other FAQs are also a great source of interesting information.

Happy marking! 😄

Posted