Penguin Watch Talk

What are these birds?

• orphrey by orphrey

They don't look like chinstrap penguins to me, but I can't find them in the non-peguin crib sheet either.

Posted

• lpilarsk by lpilarsk

Cormorants (Shags)

Posted

• orphrey by orphrey

Yes, that's what I thought. So how do I label them? Shouldn't they be in the picking list for non-penguins? In fact, shouldn't there be an entry in that list for unidentified animals?

Posted

• lpilarsk by lpilarsk

Just use "other" and click on OK. I guess Shags are not on their main list of species of interest. You could indicate that they are Shags by adding comments.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Thanks for helping, @lpilarsk !

@orphrey - All marking protocol is in the FAQ linked on each Classification page, the first item under Help on the Discussion boards, and individually featured on the side of Talk pages. FAQ 1 & 6 relate to cormorants and other animals not on the "Other" list of predatory birds, humans, and vessels, all of which may have direct impacts on the success of the rookeries, which are the focus of the project cameras. FAQ6 contains good information about animals marked with "Other", including listed species and other animals marked with "Other" without needing species, such as cormorants and seals.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Thanks so much Ipilarsk for helping orphrey 😄 It's always cool to find that everyone is getting really in tune with how the project works 😄

We do get asked about animals that are not on the 'other list'. The scientists are happy with the system we use now, just as you said Ipilarsk 'Just use "other" and click on OK. '

Thanks again - especially from the penguins 😄

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Two moderators for the price of one 😄 We're all working hard for the penguins 😄

Posted