Penguin Watch Talk

If too dim?

• mwocean by mwocean

I am treating night-time images where some individuals are in the dimly lit areas and hard to see the same as "too many to count" and only clicking on individuals I am sure are adult penguins, even though i am sure there are individuals in the dimly lit part that I don't click. Is it appropriate to click on 'too many to count' even though the issue is not the number of penguins but the lighting? Thanks.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi @mwocewan 😃

'I am treating night-time images where some individuals are in the dimly lit areas and hard to see the same as "too many to count' - excellent! Carry on that good work! 😃

These night time pictures may seem odd, but picture sitting out in a hide at 2C in the Antarctic trying to stay awake and count them yourself night after night and through the bitter winter. How wonderful that we have these remote pictures because they give us all new knowledge about what penguins do during those times. Before this project we simply couldn't know in the detail that we do now. That puts you at the forefront of new science 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator in response to mwocean's comment.

It is as @AvastMH has posted. To answer your question- yes! You already know we mark only what we're sure of here, so that "Too many" choice is code for Look here! More penguins! The FAQ asks that we use "Too many penguins to mark" both for overwhelming numbers of penguins and for weather/lighting conditions that make it impossible to mark all penguins accurately. So please mark all you are sure of, then go ahead with the "Too many penguins..." option (and thank you for your efforts on these wonderful, challenging photos) .

Posted