Penguin Watch Talk

Are we supposed to identify the type of penguin?

• Star_Tail by Star_Tail

I have just been classifying as adult or chick but I'm worried that i have missed somewhere where we are supposed to add species. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Posted

• caitlin.black by caitlin.black moderator, scientist, admin

There is no need to pick which species it is. The guide at the bottom is just to help you distinguish between adults and chicks while learning about the difference between the species. We are already aware of which species inhabits each site, so we don't need your help there.

Posted

• sue_welfare by sue_welfare

Oh that is reassuring - i was worried that when it was a long distance image I couldn't work out what species they were!

Posted

• Ips by Ips

How do you deal with those sites where two species co-occur, like this one with Gentoos and Adelies?
    http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0001847
    Don't you need to distinguish the species of each individual for analysis?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Since there is no possibility to mark what species is present in the image during the classification and since the scientists know what site is occupied by whom, I'm pretty sure they can deal with it somehow. However, let's wait for their reply..

Posted

• penguinTom79 by penguinTom79 scientist, admin

Hi there- not a problem, we just identify the nest and then we extract the data from the co-ordinates around each nest and follow each of them separately that way.
    Does that make sense? Basically, it simplifies it so that people don't have to work out what they are looking at.
    Many thanks,
    Tom

Posted

• Booguin by Booguin

I don't know if I'm logging out or closing my session correctly. When I come back, I feel that I'm doing the same pictures again.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi Booguin, You will get pictures of the same sites, but at slightly different times. It does look as if you are getting repeat pictures. However if you note one or two sites as 'favourites', you can go back and see that the dates/times are different (MOST sites have dates and times, but not quite all). If you do ever spot a repeat picture then do let us know straight away! Thank you 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Booguin's comment.

Please, check your recently classified images HERE and let me know whether they are really the same ones or not = they would have the same address/image ID. I'd like to make sure there is not an issue since there were a few users asking the same question before.

Thank you!

Zuzi

Posted