Penguin Watch Talk

Academic papers?

• mhwombat by mhwombat

I was wondering if any academic papers have been published yet about this project. I understand that you're working on a computer vision system to automatically count penguins in an image. I'm currently researching using artificial life for data mining of images, so I'm interested in the techniques you're using.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

I have absolutely no technical knowledge of this kind of thing, but I am intrigued to know how you go about automatically identifying penguins when it is often very difficult to identify them with the human eye.
    Nicky & Peng

Posted

• PenguinHila by PenguinHila scientist, translator

Thanks for your questions. So far,a methods papers on the technique is in the works, once we gather sufficient information to advance the automated identification techniques. As you may know, it takes a long time to bring a paper to publication, and Penguin Watch only just launched about 3 weeks ago, so there is a long way to go.
    We are lucky to have collaborators who are experts in computer science, physics, statistics and other fields working on refining the techniques--certainly no easy task!

Posted

• penguinTom79 by penguinTom79 scientist, admin

Hi- In response to the first, it's difficult, but we're working with the best!

Here is the only other example of automation in birds.
    http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/VAIB10PAPERS/VAIB10pldqc_final.pdf

We're pretty confident we can get up to 95% accuracy, but beyond that is unlikely.

Whether this would be useful for AI datamining of images, my impression is not. It seems to take a long time to develop for any specific animal. Unless you are data mining something to do with the composition of colours that would not require recognition or training, then I think there are packages that could do it already.

Regards,
    Tom

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Thanks. That looks incredibly difficult - and a lot of work. I guess you'll be needing manual penguin counters for a while yet (about which we are very pleased as we're really enjoying it)

Posted