Penguin Watch Talk

counting

• dgkindy by dgkindy

So, here is a a great picture that shows a huge colony but once you get beyond a 100ft or so in the picture, it becomes progressively more difficult to identify individual penguins and even tag them. I know the popup says you can stop after 30 but when is it no longer even valid to continue to count as the likely hood of errors as you try to even count.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I can't speak for the scientists, but my practice has always been, for such pictures, to try to click on at least 30, and often many more, focusing on getting all of the closer ones that I can. Then I will try to click on just a few of the more distant ones, just to indicate that there were some penguins in that part of the picture. Obviously, we can't click on every one of those distant individuals, but they will know that we didn't capture all of the penguins in this pic, and can look at if themselves to see how many more there are.

Hope that helps!

S.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

@sisige, that's a good tactic and should help when the data is reduced. Thank you for sharing!

Posted