Penguin Watch Talk

FAQS - develop

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi yshish. Fantastic x FAQs! I spotted two little changes to make. The rest is good. I suspect I put these into the first version (silly me!) 😃

1. 1st line. replace 'distanced' with 'distant'

2. 1st line. add the word 'and' between 'background' and 'which'

3. 4th line. replace 'distanced' with 'distant'

Thanks! 😃

Posted

No changes for batch number two! Wow! This is so exciting! 😃 😃 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Great, Joan, thanks for reading and corrections. Check the 3rd one please. I'm going to include your changes in the meantime:)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Will 'unfeature' some threads as I promised when finish the FAQs to make it better visible - you're right the list is pretty long and messy.

Posted

Thanks for unfeaturing some posts yshish - that's going to help a lot -hurrah! 😃

Here's some changes for the third set:
    Hi! A few tiny grammar corrections

1) 1st line. differences at these images... replace 'at' with 'in'
    1) 3rd line 'under one of the adult (usually the father) as a fluffy grey / dark blobs.' becomes
    'under one of the adults (usually the father) as fluffy grey / dark blobs.'
    1) 4th line. 'they become able stay warm' becomes 'they become able to stay warm'

2) 'same time in the end of a breeding' becomes 'same time at the end of a breeding'
    2) 'chicks) moults' becomes 'chicks) moult'
    2) 'Juveniles become adult when lost their chicken feathers.' becomes 'Juveniles become adult when they lose their chick feathers.'
    2) 'Adults moult to keeps the' becomes 'Adults moult to keep the'
    2) 'miss the sings of maturity' becomes 'miss the signs of maturity'
    2) 'example, chick of King penguins' becomes 'example, the chicks of King penguins'
    2) 'When it looks like an adult King but having some clusters of brown chick-like feather, then you can mark it as chick.' becomes 'When it looks like an adult King but still has some clusters of brown chick-like feathers, then you can mark it as a chick.'

Gentoos
    'Chicks are rather grey on back than black and have white chins / throats.' becomes' 'Chicks are more grey than black on their back, and have white chins / throats.'

Rockhoppers
    'The haven't got any head whiskers.' becomes 'Chicks do not have head whiskers.'

2) 'When you rally can't tell them apart' becomes 'When you really can't tell them apart'

Gosh - this is all looking good! 😄

Posted

For set 5:
    5th set:
    2) change 'distanced' to 'distant' (needs that little spot line marker at the start of it too)

I'll check set 4 now 😃 This is really good!

Posted

Oh, wow! So many typos and mistakes!! Thank you 😃 I corrected them all.

I added some more questions to the end of some Lines since I didn't want to make too many threads.. This should be all. I will check the other files later and look for the photos you mods were collecting so long for those FAQs! 😃

I'm not very happy with it. All the lines are too long to be read by busy people 😦 I'd like to make them shorter. And perhaps, we could merge some lines together or reorganize the questions a bit to make them easier findable.. What do you think?

Posted

Set 4
    3) 1st line: 'Adelies can remind of Gentoo chicks' becomes 'Adelies can remind one of Gentoo chicks'
    3) 2nd line 'Please, do mark all the penguin species you see, no matter whether it is included in the guide or not as long as it is a penguin (for example Magellanic or Macaroni penguin)' becomes 'Please, do mark all the penguin species you see, no matter whether it is included in the guide or not, as long as it is a penguin (for example Magellanic or Macaroni penguin) include it in your count.'
    4) 1st line. ' they shoot it into all directions' becomes 'they shoot it out all directions'

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Thanks so much, yshish! These are really helpful, clear, well organized, easy to locate the info we need. You've done a fantastic job!

I have one suggestion about humans. If there's a bunch of them far away about the same distance from the Penguins, do we need to mark each individual? If we don't, should we use the "too many" button or is that only for penguins?

Again, many many thanks for all this good work!

Posted

Hi!

'I'm not very happy with it. All the lines are too long to be read by busy people 😦 I'd like to make them shorter. And perhaps, we could merge some lines together or reorganize the questions a bit to make them easier findable.. What do you think?'

I agree - they need to be shorter - let's work on that - see how short we can get them! And amalgamating them makes lots of sense.

Great work today though!

I need to go feed my garden birds - back shortly 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to Shiphrah's comment.

Oh Shiphrah - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

As you can see we're thinking of cutting out some of the words, but it is good to know that you like them. Good point about human beings - we'll look into that one. 😃

Eventually we want to make these accessible on the classification page so that help is instant.
    I don't want to stop folks sharing their pictures because that's great fun and good learning, but they shouldn't have to be worried as they classify. 😃

Thanks again!

Joan (AvastMH)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

OK, Joan. Thanks, I will do so:)

Thanks, @Shiphrah ,it is actually a result of the collaboration of me, @AvastMH and @NickyPeng !! We spend many time completing those FAQs together. This is just a short version without images. We have got much bigger plans - not sure whether they will be accomplished or not.. but we don't give up!

As for the human group question, I'll ask the scientists and will include the answer in the FAQs. Thanks for the question!!

😃 Zuzi

Posted

Hi Zuzi ,

Let me know what I can do next to help! 😃

J 😃

Posted

I unfeatured some discussions from the global list.. Let me know if you think that some more (and which of them) should be unfeatured.

I asked for adding a link to the FAQs directly to the Classification page and asked the scientists for checking the FAQs and answering the human group question.

Now we could check the photos we emailed each other some time ago and chose the most important ones... look at the Gentoos here: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000006/discussions/DPZ0000ac2 .. this way seems to be the most useful, doesn't it?

But first of all you should take a rest and relax after such an exhausting mod work!! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

The request is in to get the FAQs in the classification interface.

There's also one in to fix the pagination on threads like this one. 😃

Hopefully someone will get to it ASAP!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

THANK YOU! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to yshish's comment.

Wow! Just as I sent my previous post the page buttons have appeared!!! That was pretty fast!:😃))))))))))))

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

... hm... they're still not appearing for me... and I don't think that the issue has been closed in the repo. I don't think this one is fixed yet, sadly. 😃 Give me a day or two to snag a dev's attention... there's one in particular who knows how to fix this very easily! He just wasn't in today.

Posted

Hi Zuz,

Really really sorry that I missed your message above - eek! will check discussion in the global list for 'removables' tomorrow - just too worn out tonight. I'll get onto those pics - I think that Nickypeng did excellent work on those so we should have a good choice to work from 😃

Hi DZM too. Sounds like things are really trundling on nicely for establishing the FAQs. This a great thing! I think we should all be awarded extra pebbles for our nests...0oOoo0o0oO00

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

The pagination problems that have plagued threads like this one for a while should be fixed now. Thanks for letting us know!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Seems to be working for me too! (I tried reloading a few of such threads)

Posted