Penguin Watch Talk

Same 1-2 dominant locations for classifying

• Ingridbio by Ingridbio

I appreciate classifying is done in the name of science but it has been a lot less fun to classify penguins in the same location from within a few days of each other over and over again. Is it just me receiving the same location?

It used to be fun fun not knowing which location was going to show up on the screen, many spectacular views. Wondering what changed and if it will ever change back?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this comment-

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

This is the right place to ask ingridbio, and thank you for doing so. In fact, I asked yshish the other day since I noticed that our picture classifications per day are falling - and I'm sure it's due to a lack of variety. It seems that the technical folk are rushing more pictures through as fast as possible so we should get a variety very soon (perhaps in a week or less). I'll try to get more information as soon as possible.
    And in the meantime accept my apologies. We've worked a lot faster than expected, and the technical folk are probably running hard to keep up with us. I'm not sure why a broad mixture was not set up in the first place.
    Importantly - THANK YOU for sticking with it.
    I'll find out more for you 😃

Posted

Hi ingridbio,
    I got the message wrong about new pictures - ouch!
    Each picture is counted by about 10/11 poeple. The pictures come out in batches. Looks like we're waiting to get a batch finally cleared before other pictures can come on line. I've mentioned that we're just down to a very few sites. Some sites have a lot of pictures taken, so I guess that's why we're seeing them a lot.

If you need a break from the penguins I know that Plankton Portal would be very very happy to have help. Yshish is a great expert over there. I sometimes pop in there for a break from our friends, 2 links up the food chain 😉 Some of the creatures there are awesomely beautiful, and can be quite a tease to identify though, as I say, there's really good help in PP. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it 😃

Best wishes,
    Joan (AvastMH)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Thanks, Joan, for taking care of this! You're such a great help for the project! 😃

Posted

You are VERY welcome - and if we can help out the Plankton too - that would be a double gold star for all of us! 😉

Posted