Penguin Watch Talk

Do penguins eat their own empty eggshells for minerals?

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Stinu asks this question, having seen an empty eggshell beside a Gentoo penguin. We know penguins eat mollusks, and that females have significantly more mollusk shells in their stomach, where stomach acids gradually break down the shells allowing the females to absorb calcuim. This replaces the high amount of calcium used for making shells for their eggs. Stinu's question translated to English asks especially about Lime. I suspect that Calcium is what was intended.

I have not yet found information regarding whether the eggshells themselves are consumed by penguins for the mineral content.

Posted

I'm reading a book written by a penguin scientist. He suggests that wind carries off the eggshells. He was speaking of Adelie penguins, but I suspect this is at least part of the answer to our question.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Here's what Caitlin said about this question:

I honestly have no idea. I have never read about any incidences of penguins eating their own shells. As far as I can tell, the shells are broken down naturally as penguin walk over them and the elements do the rest.

Posted

Thank you to yshish and Caitlin!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I asked Dr. Tom the same question and this is what he replied:

As far as I know, penguins don’t eat their eggshells, in contrast with most other birds. This might be because they don’t have hollow bones and are slightly less calcium limited than flying birds.

Cheers!

Zuzi

Posted