Penguin Watch Talk

Gentoo sounds

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

I found a link to a short video of gentoos and thought others might enjoy seeing the little beauties going about their daily nesting routines.
    Gentoo nesting, calls

Another one including hatching is found here: Gentoo calls, pebble stealing, and hatching

Posted

Hatching

These are all from one site. As one video ends, click on the arrow on the right of the picture to see another.

This one shows the feed chase. Parents call to their chicks, then run away from the creche, forcing the chicks to follow them away from other chicks before being allowed to feed, one at a time. Feed Chase

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I'll enjoy these tomorrow - thanks for them gardenmaeve 😄

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Gardenmave these are great 😃 😃 .... I particularly like the start and end of the first one that shows how the pengs negotiate up and down the walls of snow. Haven't got through all of them yet but think they should be in the tutorial for PWers to view .... thank you 😃 😃

PS How do you find time to find these ???? 😃 😃

Posted

So glad you find them interesting, @coldcounter. I just try searching with different terms, and go from there. I like finding links where we can really see what goes on- sometimes hard to interpret behavior accurately with the still images we classify! (As for time, each link represents a few minutes rest from hours of digging potatoes, chasing chickens, picking apples, hauling water... you get the idea! 😄 )

The tutorial needs to be very simple, so these links are best kept separate, I think. Those of us who want to understand what we are seeing can find them within the Discussion area.

Posted