Penguin Watch Talk

Population

• dmeyer16 by dmeyer16

Hi, I am a researcher and am studying the various population size of the total population of penguins in this area being studied by penguin watch. My research includes analyzing the photos and not only counting the total number of penguins but also dating each photo. By doing this I can see if the total population is decreasing or increasing as years pass.

From my analysis I have seen an increase in penguins. If you have any information please comment back.

Any insight into this area of study would be helpful! All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hello @dmeyer16, and welcome to Penguin Watch.

The photos already contain dates and times, as I'm sure you've noticed. Some Penguin Watch study sites change from year to year, and some camera locations also change. Some photos show most residents of a particular area at nestside, while others show most of the population is out to sea hunting. It would be challenging to standardize data in such a situation (which makes analysis and conclusions tricky to substantiate), but I wish you luck in finding the information you need. I've alerted fellow moderators to your post.

Regards,
    gardenmaeve

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to dmeyer16's comment.

Hi @dmeyer16

Welcome to the Penguin Watch 😃

I've informed Dr. Tom about your research and asked him to look at your post. He's just returning from his fieldwork in Antarctica and so his access to the internet is very limited. But I'm sure he'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Nothing to add to the good words of the other moderators. However - good work dmeyer16 ...we like penguinologists here. 😄

Posted