Penguin Watch Talk

King Penguins

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

"Where do King penguins live? Where it is warm or where it is cold?" [Annika] Today at school, they read a book about Emperor Penguins which we know keep the eggs on their feet so they don't freeze. We were then talking at dinner about whether King Penguins do the same thing, or if they live somewhere slightly warmer.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to nthrockmorton's comment.

Yes, they do the same. You can rarely see a King penguin egg in our images, but sometimes you can see those 'pouches' above their feet hiding somethin (egg/little chick).

I think these are from South Georgia.

Posted

We will keep an eye out for those pouches! I never think to look.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I only recall seeing two King eggs since January 2015. They are a rare delight. I'm pretty sure that this place is indeed South Georgia, and is called Salisbury Plain. It is an immense area of King penguins - we only see a small part of it.

I found one that we were fairly sure of: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0000awv where we see a lot of adults with full looking pouches.

I have circled the penguin here:

enter image description here

and increased the picture here:
    enter image description here

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

What a perfect image example! Thanks Joan for finding/sharing it 😃

Posted

"Thanks Joan! It is really cool that you circled the penguin that has an egg!" [Annika]

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

The credit really goes to @gardenmaeve who spotted it first 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

How kind, @AvastMH. I remember that photo. I was trying so hard to find a King penguin's egg and could hardly believe it was visible. 😃

Annika, I agree it's cool that Joan can do clever things like circle the penguin with the egg for you to see. 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Here's an image with some of those penguin bulges that hide eggs and chicks, @nthrockmorton : King penguins pouch bulges

Posted