Penguin Watch Talk

Too Many to Count

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

I asked this same question in the "Help" section. In this particular camera shot, there are so many in the distance I can't really count them so have done two procedures: counting up to the point when the notice comes up I have reached 30 and can stop or counting just the penguins in the foreground, but usually noting there are too many to count. Do you have a preference for how such a shot is handled?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Yes, we do. The FAQs are clear- once you have counted as many as you can (we hope at least 30) use "Too many penguins to count" to include the rest in the distance. So it appears you have done that exactly right. 😃 You are not required to stop at 30- count as far as you are willing and can mark accurately. Counting more than 30 is very helpful, and when they are too hard to count (numbers, distance, obscured by snow/dark/fog etc.) "Too many penguins..." is the correct closing.

You are correct to first focus on the penguins near the camera before moving on to others farther away. Mark only what you are certain of, please.

Here is a link to the FAQs, where marking protocol, general information, and many helpful tips can be found: FAQs page

Please ask just once- no need to duplicate questions in more than one place. We all read all postings and help as quickly as possible. 😃

Thank you for your care in marking the images.

Posted