Penguin Watch Talk

breeding phenology

• bonnieg by bonnieg

I have noticed one of the gentoo colonies seems very much behind the others in terms of breeding - I don't know if this particular colony is just too young, too stressed, or if it is has a naturally delayed breeding period ( most of the photos are Dec-January)

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

A colony of Gentoos is likely to move its nests every year- whether a few feet or by miles, the latter being certain to disrupt some aspects of breeding. Each rookery is affected by location, local climate, distance from food, population density, and other factors.

Since we don't have exact locations (over a hundred cameras "throughout the Southern Ocean and along the Antarctic Peninsula" FAQ 4th AL) or access to details affecting each site, the best we can do is observe closely and accept there will always be differences. It would be a mistake to expect every Gentoo rookery, for an example, to follow the rough breeding charts with precision, or that two Adelie rookieries would be synchronized like clockwork.

There will always be variations, even within one rookery. A partner may be late returning or not return at all. Young penguins mature enough to breed may not be mature enough to establish a nest site or deal with predators or territory disputes.

Interesting question, thanks.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Just to add some more information about breeding of Gentoos. As you have probably noticed there are some differences in the time of breeding between Northern and Southern Gentoos. I think that most of the colonies displayed in the current data set are from Antarctic Peninsula and adjacent islands, occupied by the Southern species. But we have some Northern ones being monitored as well. You can check out our graphics for the exact differences here: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000002/discussions/DPZ00002pg. Hope it is helpful 😃

Cheers,
    Z.

Posted