Penguin Watch Talk

New penguin pictures are coming to you!! :)

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hey everyone!

As you have probably heard, we have finished the old data set for 100 %. But don't worry, 23,117 new images have been uploaded, and most of them even activated already! 😄

Let's check them out!

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

• Sitandslide by Sitandslide

Woo! 😄

Only problem: Soooooo many new images which have been commented upon in the last few hours. How am I ever going to catch up on reading all of that, while also still getting to classify new photos myself?!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Sitandslide's comment.

Hah, the same problem here, even worse for us, moderators 😄 It always becomes really difficult when new data arrives. We're so lucky to have some help here! 😃

Posted

• Melakmen by Melakmen

Sitandslide.......same here. Love reading and looking at others comments, and then marking my own!! I think the penguins now know they are being 'watched' as they seem more photogenic, and at times comical. Best down time ever marking penguins.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

These are wonderful comments to read. It's true that we 'talk' a bit more when there are so many fun images to talk about. There are many, many studies made by Social Scientists into why people become, and stay as, Citizen Scientists. It has become clear that finding a subject that interests you helps you to carry on helping. Citizen Scientists might be interested for a number of reasons with PW, it might be seeing the penguins, or just the scenery, or the weather, or relating to the tourists, or sea ice. But there is also the matter of enjoying those interests with a community of like-minded folk, and that's where this section for discussion comes into its own. 😃

The other day someone posted a reference to an interesting article about this matter, so do read and enjoy that...

From Rick Nowell on Zooniverse Talk: (link: https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/14/52612?comment=104593)
    @Rick_Nowell
    May 4th 2016, 12:36 am

At least five Zooniverse projects (includes OldWeather) are featured in the paper linked to below. It divides 'Citizen Cyberscience' (online CS) into three types: volunteer computing; volunteer thinking; participatory sensing. Free download. http://jcom.sissa.it/archive/15/03/JCOM_1503_2016_A05

Posted

I've put together a few pointers for spotting the difference between cormorants and chinstrap penguins. I'm sure it can be improved as more pictures are classified. I hope it helps in the meantime.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Very nicely done. Thank you, @AvastMH .

Posted

Nessie Line - phase three. For those who think they see Nessie Line but it looks odd, open this comment and follow the threads 😃

https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0009mbv

Posted