Penguin Watch Talk

Northern Gentoos and their green nests

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

We've had quite a number of questions about the Northern Gentoos that we are now seeing.

We've become used to seeing the Southern Gentoos and their pebble nests over the last year on PW. Now we've returned to seeing some of the Northern Gentoos and their grassy/seaweed nests. We do not know where these sites are situated so we can only give some useful general information about the penguins shown here APZ0009agx and in APZ00099lf.

• Differing breeding cycles exist between Southern and Northern types, so you will see eggs and chicks at different times of year. See our chart here.
    • General information is available from the Photovolcanica site
    • For those of you wishing to delve deeper into the difference between the Southern and Northern you might try this very interesting and techincal article
    • I've highlighted two areas on this map to show the latitude of islands with Northern Gentoo populations. In addition, other Northern Gentoos live within the Southern Indian Ocean Island tundra ecoregion description via Wikipaedia site.

• I also copied a climate grid for Stanley on the Falkland Islands to give an idea of the weather we might expect to see in the pictures (weather indication).

This item is locked, please feel free to reference it in a new post on the science/help boards 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Great idea. Such a summary is very helpful! I'd just like to add that our Northern Gentoo sites may very well be located on Falklands, South Georgia and South Sandwich isls. too.
    @AvastMH please, circle them in the map (I've got no information about having any cameras on Prince Edw.isls/Marion isl. which are the islands circled on your map as N) Thanks.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

(I'm just editing the locations mentioned at the breeding cycles too.)

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi Yshish - would you like the Indian Ocean site (like Prince Edward Is) marked - or changed to the Falklands? I suspect that I probably should have use the Falklands instead of those places. In which case I might try to find a more suitable climate grid than Crozet Island. 😃

Posted