Test discussion

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Test discussion text

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Did it work? 😃

Posted

It did - hurrah! 😃 So far I have closed my eyes to all the boards because I just could not understand them. But the time had come...and now I think I've worked them out.
    BTW Darren...there's no link anywhere to Dailyzoo...which might make your readership a tad on the low side from the PW users 😉

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hi AvastMH
    Yes - it works. And if no-one else joins in, at least all the moderators can all chat among ourselves!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to AvastMH's comment.

The DailyZoo is something most prominently linked from the Zooniverse homepage... Where else are you suggesting that it be linked from?

Posted

Hi Nickypeng! That's true! Here's to a bit of moderator chat then.. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

From the individual projects - the top bar of the home page should include such a link at least.. 😦

Posted

Hi Darren,
    Well - it's just that I very rarely go near the Zooniverse homepage (I can feel school detention coming on after admitting that...) because I'm locked into two favourite Zooniverse projects. So I have to think to go to the Dailyzoo, If there were a more obvious link on each project it would be a reminder to go and have a look-see at what all the other projects are up to.
    Just a thought. I get the impression that I'm not alone in this idea... But if your readership is healthy, not to worry - hurrah! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Honestly, I think this generally speaks to our need for a more united and more easily navigable Zooniverse.

Which we're working on! 😄

Posted

Ah - right! Carry on the good work Number One (was that a phrase from someone used to working with ships ?!? 😉 )

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Hi AvastMH, DZM - If you're heading for detention, so are we! I have to confess that I haven't even had much of a look at the rest of the Zooniverse. We found our way here following penguins and haven't got very far past the PenguinWatch site.
    Maybe you could have the orange DailyZoo banner (the one on the Zooniverse site) appear on each project's page - maybe at the log in screen or something, so that people see it but it then disappears so it doesn't get in the way. If I saw something pop up every day when I log in with a picture of elephants, or stars or old ships logs or whatever, I would at least think "I wonder what that's about" and go and have a look.
    I know there is the panel at the bottom of the PenguinWatch page with links to Zooniverse, but it doesn't really look very exciting. It looks more like the fine print you find at the bottom of web pages and which no-one ever reads (the Site Map, Privacy policy, copyright statement kind of blurb).

N&P

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Hi all
    Is there a way for moderators, scientists, zooniversers to talk among ourselves (without making it too obvious that we don't really know what we're doing)?
    I think it would be helpful for when there are posts I don't know how to respond to, or if there is something I want to alert other moderators to (like questionable users) or questions that need to be referred to the scientists or tech people.
    Do others think it would be worthwhile? and would there be an easy way to do it (maybe a discussion board with limited access) ??

Nicky&Peng

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Nickypeng's comment.

... 😦

No. Not now, unfortunately. It's 100% going to be in the next generation of Talk, but at the moment, we don't have the capability. We've certainly heard enough requests for it!!

Loath as I am to suggest that anyone not be on Talk, perhaps you could swap emails, at least for now, until we have the next gen of Talk and a true moderator board?

Posted

Well asked Nickypeng...that had also been on my mind. Thanks for the reply Darren - sounds like there's hope. My usual port of call is Old Weather -which is enormous compared to PW and has had 3 years or so to develop an awesome forum. We have reserved boards there for moderators/those of us working on certain support projects in the way that Darren suggests. ANYWAY - how about for now we have one picture that we all use to ask for a moderators meeting? We do have messaging on site, but I'm happy to use email addresses if everyone else is happy to do so. As a test I just set up a picture (marked as 'Blurry view' for now) from my collection 'Moderators meeting' which we could all post as a visual request/alert to a new message stream. It looks like this plan would work. We don't need to use it - but I find the email count icon (far right of menu bar) a bit confusing/unreliable.
    Any thoughts folks? Kruseau - do you have any thoughts about this please?

Posted

OK - lets try the blurry view meeting room and see how we get on.
    I'm not entirely sure how you envisage it working, but I've found the picture and followed it, so I guess we make things up as we go along.

Nicky & Peng

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

I thought we could just use email addresses for such things since we can send them to all of us at once and privately and will see them coming (in the case you're used to be signed in there permanently;) I'm used to discuss everything from the PW with the scientists this way. But OK let's try the picture discussion. I've followed the blurry one too:)

I was thinking whether it would be useful to do that through the Moderation page (top menu on the right), but there's no possibility to create a discussion to anything:(

Pity the mail system here doesn't work properly and you cannot multiply the receiver. That is something (hopefully Darren reads this!😃 that would be very useful feature in the new Talk;)

Zuzi

PS: I've already gotten all your email addresses! Shall I send you a group email? (Please confirm all)

Posted

Yes I am happy for you to pass my email addresses on to Nickypeng and Kruseau. When I get a private email I don't get any form of notification on my computer screen which is why I thought 'blurry image ' might be a way to alert each other that we are trying to communicate. I'm happy to work in whatever way you all wish to adopt. 😃

Posted

Hi Darren - I've just had another thought of something that would be nice for the next version of Talk. Would it be possible to allow moderators to make longer comments? People often ask questions that take more than 140 characters to answer, so we quite often have to make 2, 3 or 4 comments to give them an answer.

Nicky & Peng

Posted

Oh gosh, that would really help - the 140 thing is hard to work with.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We may actually be integrating all comments and hash-tagging within one discussion system. 😃 So no more "object" comments versus "discussion" comments.

This will be tested, of course, to make sure that it works, but it will permanently remove any sort of character limits!

Posted