Penguin Watch Talk

When in doubt, mark it?

• MonarchRaiser by MonarchRaiser

Which is better -- a false positive or a false negative? If we can't tell if something is a penguin or a rock, do you want us to mark it?

Posted

• MonarchRaiser by MonarchRaiser

I mean in general -- not this image in particular. (I'm still learning to navigate your site.)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to MonarchRaiser's comment.

It depends on the circumstances but in general, I would use these rules (not confirmed by the scientists yet!):

1] When you get an image where you cannot see any clear animals but something that can be an animal as well as a rock, then choose the 'I can't tell' button when being asked whether there are any animals present.

2] When you get an image with more than 30 penguins present and there are some unidentified objects which can be penguins/other animals as well as rocks.. then I wouldn't mark them but chose the 'Too many to count' button to let the scientists know there can be more of them.

3] When there's an image with less than 30 penguins and some objects which can be animals as well as penguins then I wouldn't mark the unsure objects but clicked on the 'Too many to count' button too.

4] When you are sure it is an animal but not sure whether a penguin or some other animal, then I would chose the Other button and marked it as some of the listed BIRDS (not humans nor buildings).

5] When there's a penguin for sure but you can't tell whether an adult or chick, then choose the adult one. So the scientists will get at least their count.

For all these rules I have to say, that it depends on each specific image - sometimes I'm almost sure it is a penguin (rather than a rock) but not sure, then it is better to mark it as a penguin than leave it unmarked. But when it is 50:50, then I wouldn't mark it.

Hope this information isn't misleading. will ask the scientists for a confirmation (They could disagree and prefer guessing:). And always remember that each image is classified by multiple users so all the mistakes should get excluded from the results:] Just try your best and ask questions when in doubts!

Thanks for the question. Enjoy the counting,

Zuzi

Posted