Penguin Watch Talk

Traveling in small groups

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

These gentoo seem to be moving in small groups up the hill. Is this just random, or is there a reason for the staggered groups?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello nthrockmorton,
    They do fish in small groups as a habit. I imagine that this gives them some security in numbers against predators whilst walking to the sea or whilst swimming, but not such a large group as to be cumbersome.

Joan

Posted

Thanks Joan! My daughter and I have learned so much about penguins from your team's responses. Thank you for taking the time!

Posted

You are both very welcome. It is a really nice experience to become so familiar with these enchanting and wonderful creatures. I am glad that you are enjoying it too. 😃

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Some species of penguins form up into groups in the sea before coming ashore. Coming ashore is a particularly dangerous bit of their fishing trip as they are most at risk of being eaten by seals etc. So coming ashore in a group provides safety in numbers.
    So if they come out of the water in a group, I guess they probably toddle up to their nests in a group too.

Happy counting,

Posted

Saw a very interesting programme about penguins. Apparently they bob around on the surface before they make a final dive, turn, and jet up to the surface. They bob around in order to pick up air under their guard feathers. Then they dive. As they swim vigorously back to the surface the air is squeezed out and reduces the friction of the water on their feathers, thereby allowing them a bigger exit leap onto land.

Posted

That's awesome!

Posted