Penguin Watch Talk

Where are we?

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hello Penguin Watchers

We have been doing some investigations to find out where our little penguin friends live.
    We can't tell you exactly where each camera site is, but we can narrow it down a bit.

If you have not seen it yet there is a map on the Penguin Watch science page showing the approximate location of the cameras. Science - map
    The islands on the map (from top left, moving clockwise) are:

Falkland Islands - (Islas Malvinas) Rockhopper, Gentoo
    The Rockhopper colony where the Magellanics and Macaronis visit is on Bleaker Island, which is part of the Falkland.
    This website has info about the wildlife, including penguins.

South Georgia Island - King, Gentoo

South Sandwich Islands - Chinstrap

South Orkney Islands - Chinstrap

South Shetland Islands - Chinstrap, Gentoo

Then there is the Antarctic Peninsula and its surrounding islands - Gentoo, Chinstrap, Adelie.

The sites from the South Orkney Islands southwards are covered by the international Antarctic Treaty.
    The Secretariat of the Antarctic Treaty has a website.
    There is a [map of Treaty area].

There is a series of Visitor Site Guides for the various places in the Treaty area where people can visit.

Each of the Site Guides has a description of the site, details of flora and fauna, maps and photographs. The maps include details of where there are penguin colonies.

As an example, this is the Site Guide for Gourdier Island – which includes the Penguin post Office at Port Lockroy.

Now all we have to do is match each of the camera sites with one of the visitor sites!

PS - Google maps does show the islands along the Antarctic peninsular, including their names, if you zoom in enough.

PPS - Avast - what you thought might be the cross on Petermann Island is a camera pole – see photo on Science page.

Happy counting

Nicky&Peng

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Great work, Nicky! Thank you for that.

Z.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Top work! Interesting to know about the camera pole - very professional-looking bit of pole-support building. I'd be proud if it were mine 😉
    I wonder if we could work out some naming system for each photoset? The two photos of the mixed Adelia/Gentoo colony on that ridge above the red hut I call 'red hut ridge left & right' (canny eh?)
    And then there's ''teapot' gulch', so named due to this photo: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0001zxv
    😃

Posted