Penguin Watch Talk

Humboldt penguin among Rockhopper Penguins

• la_nee by la_nee

Hi there,
    right in the middle of the picturs, between two blurry blades of grass, there's a Humboldt penguin.

I didn't notice one in other "macaroni" pictures. Have you seen this guest in any other pictures?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to la_nee's comment.

Hi @la_nee

I've posted some comments to yours. They are actually Rockhoppers however there are used to appear two Macaronis among them. The guy you consider to be a Humboldt is actually a Magellanic penguin. Here are the main differences between those similar looking species:

As for the Humboldt X Magellanic penguins, you can tell them apart by the black strips around their stomach. Humboldt penguins have only one black strip on their neck. X Magellanics have two of them! We haven't seen any Humboldt penguins in this data set yet but we're use to see there Magellanic couple pretty often (or just one of them).

As for the Rockhoppers X Macaronis, Macaronis are bigger and have vivid yellow massive tuft/crest of head feathers arising from the center forehead (above the beak) and extends horizontally.. Rockhoppers have light yellow/white whiskers coming from back of their head sides (behind eyes) with eyebrow of the same color. And we do see there a couple of Macaronis among all the Rockhoppers as well. One of the Macaronis is present in this image. Can you find him? 😃

I hope it is clearer to you now. If not, keep asking.

Anyway, there's no need to worry about their species. The scientists are interested in their count and whether they're adult or chicks only 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• la_nee by la_nee

Thank you 😃
    I haven't heard of Megallanic penguins before.

For the #macaroni tag... I misunderstood it as a name for that rockhopper place. blushes
    But yeah, there's one at the very left of the picture.

Wow, two more penguin species I've learned about. 😃

Well, I know we're not supposed to identify the species, but it's still interesting. ^^

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to la_nee's comment.

You're very welcome @la_nee .It's nice to see people learning new things here! 😃

Posted