Penguin Watch Talk

Gentoo in the mud

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

Where was this picture taken? We aren't used to seeing Gentoo nesting in the mud.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi Annika and dad,

It's a nice image of a penguin carrying a piece of mud to build the nest and a very good question! 😃 I'm happy that you've noticed their nest is build from a different/unusual material!

Actually I don't know the exact location of this nesting colony but my guess would be South Georgie (or maybe Falklands) where they usually build their nests from mud like here.

I can try to search the location later or ask the scientists if you give me more time since the team is probably in the fieldwork somewhere in Antarctica again.

Enjoy the penguin counting!

Zuzi

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi Annika and Dad Nick,

Gosh that is a very determined walk! Striding up the hill with great pride. And what a wonderful nest. If that is 'mum' sitting there she has a lovely rest for her chin. What a comfortable home. 😃

Two days later it had grown into a very substantial bed, adorned with a red plastic marker http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0001cs9

And a week after that it had settled down into a comfortable, proper nest (with a white marker put there by scientists) http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0001cu9

It amazes me how those little folk can work so hard on building things 😃

Posted

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

"Thanks! That's a funny nest! I would rather have a nest of rocks." [Annika]

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to nthrockmorton's comment.

You're very welcome, Annika.

Actually, everybody would rather have a nest of rocks (or pebbles 😃), they're just too rare in some localities, like here. If they can't find any pebbles around, they have to make the nest from some other (not as great) materials.

Pebbles are cool! 😃 o0 oO o0O ooOo 0oo Oo

Zuzi

Posted